Disclose Academic Misconduct on application

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pre-DentalND

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Currently, I'm considering applying this upcoming summer. For a little background on myself, I am a junior biology major with a fairly high gpa and no DAT (plan to take it this summer) Shadowing I will have close to 150 hours when I apply. Community service is close to 300 with a lot of church volunteering/activities as well as coaching youth basketball, but no research. This semester I have had a very difficult and picky professor and I got accused of plagiarism/academic misconduct on a small assignment, which will result in the lowering of my grade by 1 letter. I do admit it was a mistake and a lapse in judgement on the assignment, but the penalty seems a bit harsh. I am absolutely devastated that it happened and at this point in my education, right before I plan on applying. I talked to the registrar and the misconduct will not be on my official transcript at all, but will go into a confidential FERPA university recording database. When I go to apply, how will I overcome something like this? When I am filling out my application I will have to explain this correct, even though it is not on my transcript? Do dental schools contact universities to see if there is any record of misconduct or a university background check? Since it is in a confidential database do dental schools have the right to find this out or request it? I am very worried since I haven't had any problems during my undergraduate education and hope something like this isn't a huge red flag or will prevent me from getting into dental school. I have wanted to be a dentist since I was young and have worked for years for it. I am literally willing to do anything to become a dentist. I would really appreciate any advice or hear from any student that may have been in a similar situation. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

You will have to report it.
You are required to disclose all information relating to any disciplinary action, and if it's discovered that you've withheld something like this, your admission would most likely be rescinded.

Your school will in many cases have to send a dean's certification form to the dental school indicating if you do/don't have any disciplinary actions on your record.

Best to figure out a way to explain how this was a learning experience for you.

Reactions: 1 user
You will have to report it.
You are required to disclose all information relating to any disciplinary action, and if it's discovered that you've withheld something like this, your admission would most likely be rescinded.

Your school will in many cases have to send a dean's certification form to the dental school indicating if you do/don't have any disciplinary actions on your record.

Best to figure out a way to explain how this was a learning experience for you.

Thank you for your reply. This isn't something that is going to completely prevent me from getting accepted to a school will it? Would you advise me to apply this summer or take a gap year? Also, if I don't get in the first time would a Master's degree help my application and distance from this at all?

Members don't see this ad :)
Wow, you're already faced with your first ethical dilemma...and frankly not doing so hot seeing as how you're trying to snake out of this by asking if it's sealed information from dental schools. Do the right thing and own up to it, regardless.

Wow, you're already faced with your first ethical dilemma...and frankly not doing so hot seeing as how you're trying to snake out of this by asking if it's sealed information from dental schools. Do the right thing and own up to it, regardless.

Thank you for the reply. I will explain it on my application and what I have learned from it. Do you feel this is something that will be a big red flag on my application or do you know of people getting into dental schools with something similar or much worse? I just want to become a dentist.

Thank you for the reply. I will explain it on my application and what I have learned from it. Do you feel this is something that will be a big red flag on my application or do you know of people getting into dental schools with something similar or much worse? I just want to become a dentist.

It will raise questions, most certainly. Is it a dealbreaker? Depends on multiple things, but seeing someone show maturity and responsibility speaks volumes over a one-time incident (which I hope is the case here...).

Do I know of people who got into dental school with worse? Yes.

Don't let this stress you out. Just show composure and, when asked about it, reflect upon how it was a mistake that you learned from. Everyone has a different journey up till dental school.

Reactions: 1 users
Thank you for your reply. This isn't something that is going to completely prevent me from getting accepted to a school will it? Would you advise me to apply this summer or take a gap year? Also, if I don't get in the first time would a Master's degree help my application and distance from this at all?
Having it happen the semester before you apply is a red flag, and doing a master's will put more time between you and the incident if you want to eventually go on to dental school, sure. But at the end of the day, you're always going to have to address this if you want any academic institution to have confidence in you being a future student of theirs. You made a mistake, but what have you learned from it?

It will raise questions, most certainly. Is it a dealbreaker? Depends on multiple things, but seeing someone show maturity and responsibility speaks volumes over a one-time incident (which I hope is the case here...).

Do I know of people who got into dental school with worse? Yes.

Don't let this stress you out. Just show composure and, when asked about it, reflect upon how it was a mistake that you learned from. Everyone has a different journey up till dental school.

Thanks for your reply. I truly appreciate your comments. It was definitely a mistake and a lapse in judgement and will explain accordingly in my application. I have a good gpa and good EC's so hopefully I will be able to gain an acceptance when I apply. Do you feel I should apply this summer as planned?

Thanks for your reply. I truly appreciate your comments. It was definitely a mistake and a lapse in judgement and will explain accordingly in my application. I have a good gpa and good EC's so hopefully I will be able to gain an acceptance when I apply. Do you feel I should apply this summer as planned?

Stat-wise, if you feel you're competitive, go for it. From what little I've seen/read, you already show a good sense of maturity. Don't let your mistake hold you back..everyone makes them...

Reactions: 1 user