discrepancy in ERAS application and MSPE

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

s4r

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,
I am a MS4 AMG applying for IM, i took a 4week break between 2nd and 3rd year after I had my baby, i didnt think anything of it since it really did not not impact my medical school education etc,i had lots of extra time in fourth year to make the time up; however while i was filling out my ERAS back in september in the section titled interruptions or extension in medical education I didnt mention it, I was not even thinking about it, silly me:oops:, i was thinking it was asking about folks who had to repeat a year or take a year off etc. well anyways while reveiwing my MSPE there is a section that mentioned that my medical education was interrupted for a month. I know this looks bad and it looks like i may be trying to cover up something but it was negligence on my part and not paying close enough attention. anyway there is nothing i can do to change it since my ERAS is certified and my school cannot change my MSPE which they shouldn't have to anyways since it is the truth. I just dont want to come across as dubious when i interview,since it was really just a stupid but honest mistake on my part. any suggestions on how to tackle this issue.
Thank you :)

Members don't see this ad.

Hello everyone,
I am a MS4 AMG applying for IM, i took a 4week break between 2nd and 3rd year after I had my baby, i didnt think anything of it since it really did not not impact my medical school education etc,i had lots of extra time in fourth year to make the time up; however while i was filling out my ERAS back in september in the section titled interruptions or extension in medical education I didnt mention it, I was not even thinking about it, silly me:oops:, i was thinking it was asking about folks who had to repeat a year or take a year off etc. well anyways while reveiwing my MSPE there is a section that mentioned that my medical education was interrupted for a month. I know this looks bad and it looks like i may be trying to cover up something but it was negligence on my part and not paying close enough attention. anyway there is nothing i can do to change it since my ERAS is certified and my school cannot change my MSPE which they shouldn't have to anyways since it is the truth. I just dont want to come across as dubious when i interview,since it was really just a stupid but honest mistake on my part. any suggestions on how to tackle this issue.
Thank you :)

I wouldn't see a month after a baby as an "interruption," especially since graduation was not delayed/extended. If it technically is? Honest mistake. It's pretty industry standard in our society for a woman to take some time off after having a child - hell women in this country go back to work MUCH sooner than other western countries. I don't think it's a big deal.

I wouldn't see a month after a baby as an "interruption," especially since graduation was not delayed/extended. If it technically is? Honest mistake. It's pretty industry standard in our society for a woman to take some time off after having a child - hell women in this country go back to work MUCH sooner than other western countries. I don't think it's a big deal.

Hello thx for the reply
yeah i was thinking its really not that big of a deal either, i was just thinking i hope i dont get asked about it,.well either way i have a decent explanation if i do get asked.

Hello thx for the reply
yeah i was thinking its really not that big of a deal either, i was just thinking i hope i dont get asked about it,.well either way i have a decent explanation if i do get asked.

I wouldn't have counted that as interruption either. You are still graduating on time, so IMO you did not have an interruption. I highly doubt anyone would care. However, to be safe, I would request some sort of official documentation that the reason you did take off was for maternity/paternity leave.

When do women go back to work in other countries? My wife was asked to come back after 6 weeks! She didn't qualify for the 12 weeks of FMLA. Bogus!