Discussion on Charities

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Chrish

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, I donated whatever I wanted to, to recent earthquake victims. I have done some minor donations in the past as well.

Anyways, what are your thoughts on charities? Are there any studies that show the effectiveness of charities in achieving their mission? Like charities dedicated to helping poor, do they actually reduce poverty? Charities helping malaria epidemic in Africa, have they actually shown any disease reduction?

By nature I hate to be taken advantage of. So, the money that I donate, I want the max if not all amount to go toward the cause; not the CEO getting million dollar compensation and flying first class/ staying in 5 star hotel on my dime..

Does anyone have any experience with participating in charity?

Members don't see this ad.

So, I donated whatever I wanted to, to recent earthquake victims. I have done some minor donations in the past as well.

Anyways, what are your thoughts on charities? Are there any studies that show the effectiveness of charities in achieving their mission? Like charities dedicated to helping poor, do they actually reduce poverty? Charities helping malaria epidemic in Africa, have they actually shown any disease reduction?

By nature I hate to be taken advantage of. So, the money that I donate, I want the max if not all amount to go toward the cause; not the CEO getting million dollar compensation and flying first class/ staying in 5 star hotel on my dime..

Does anyone have any experience with participating in charity?
Are you familiar with Mohnish Pabrai? He has a similar philosophy to yours I think.

There are sites and organizations that rate charities but whose to say that you should believe them? Personally I can think of two solutions - one, give locally to a charity that has people you trust in the organization or two, give to a charity that is national and has a good reputation. Ultimately you can’t control everything so at some point you have to trust your donation is being put to good use.

Also demonizing overhead costs for charities is counterproductive. They have costs just like any organizations and if they focus too much on cutting costs then they won’t be able to get anything done for their mission.

Reactions: 1 users