Disgruntled Social Worker Needs A Change

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Su4n2

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, hopefully someone out there will be kind enough to help me out. As the subject says, i am a social worker and I have been growing towards really disliking my job, and have become more interested in nursing. I was hoping that maybe you could possibly give me some pointers as to what I would need to do course wise (no science backround). Please include in that whther community college courses would be acceptable for the required sciences. thank you for your time!!!-jason:clap:

Members don't see this ad.

Think long and hard about this...talk to as many nurses as you can.

This is a profession in crisis right now. Stress is higher than ever, pay is crappy (starts off OK, but flattens out quickly...many of us aren't even getting COLA's, let alone raises). Look at how some of the people here talk about nurses; you aren't going to get much respect from doctors, and pts. and families think that you are responsible for everything that goes wrong...from getting tea instead of coffee on the breakfast tray to the floors not being able to take your pt upstairs from the ED immediately.

I'm not saying that I think people should be falling at my feet with gratitude for what I do, but an occasional "thank you" from a doc or pt would be most welcome.

Sorry...I didn't answer your actual question. Community college courses are fine, as long as the college is accredited. Most programs will require Chem, Micro, A & P, statistics, etc. A lot will depend on whether you go to a BSN program or ADN program. Since you already have a degree, you may be able to transfer some of your credits or take ACT/PEP...I took the PEP's for A & P, Micro, Chem, and lived through it!

You would be wise to get a BSN; even though you have another degree, you'd be amazed how closed-minded places can be...if they want a BSN, they want a BSN, and nothing else will do. You may think you'll only want to do bedside nursing and won't need the degree, but you'll have more opportunities open to you with the BSN, and besides, you should be able to transfer many/most of your non-nursing credits...you'd be crazy not to go for the BSN if you really have your heart set on being a nurse.

Hello. If you want to be a nurse and already have a BA or BS there are many 1 year BSN programs. The 2 I like here in PA are Thomas Jefferson University and Villinova. Just type in your search browser BSN second degree option. As I said these programs only take 1 year and u get a BSN and are eligble for RN exam.