Dissapppointing MCAT score, insight on what to do next?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WHopeful55

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi SDN Community,

First time posting, but I could really use some insight from everyone here. To put it briefly, I have a fairly low GPA (sGPA: 3.5 ; cGPA: 3.62), which means if I want to have a decent shot at med school I needed to do well on the MCAT.

:( Sadly, that didn't happen for me. I scored a 28 on the first one (11/6/11), and I just got my score back today after my retake, which is a 29 (11/9/9). I feel very defeated at this point, and I was wondering how I should best move forward. A part of me feels like trying to take the new MCAT, but I am very nervous with a new test seeing how I barely approved on my second attempt. What do you guys suggest I do? I have been thinking about SMPs and DO schools based on my score, because I think I might have a chance, but at this point I just don't know.

Any constructive and honest criticism is highly appreciated!

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

How were you on your practice exams? Were you scoring consistently 30+? If so, maybe study again and retake if you have your heart set on MD. If not, apply DO! I think you have a very good shot of getting into a DO school.

(Also, from what I've read, a higher MCAT does not always compensate for a lower GPA in admissions.)

Hi neuro17. Thanks for responding!

I was doing consistently within the 31-33 range. I guess on the actual thing, I choked on the Biology section. That one was quite hard on the day of the test. For the moment, my heart is set on MD because of numerous career opportunities it presents for me. I am not sure if DO offers the same prospects.

Members don't see this ad :)
Have you shadowed a DO? Have you researched DO schools and curriculum? If not do that first. See if you might want to pursue DO school. I wouldn't retake the MCAT. It's unlikely that you will score significantly higher(ie+5) on a retake. And then you'll be a 3x test taker. We have no idea what your ECs are but your GPAs are average or below for MD school.

You should be fine for DO schools so apply to at least 10 and you should receive several interviews. Apply to your state public MD schools and private schools such as Quinnipiac, New York Medical College, Albany, Drexel, Temple, Jefferson, Commonwealth (PA), Penn State, Rosalind Franklin, Oakland Beaumont, Western Michigan, St. Louis, Creighton and any new private MD schools that open in 2016.

Reactions: 1 user
3.62/29 is good to go for any DO school in the country. Get your DO shadowing in for the 2015 app cycle.

OP, I had a 29 and a 3.6 GPA and got five interviews last cycle (MD). I applied late and my MCAT was super unbalanced and was waitlisted/didn't get in, but I don't think that GPA is low low. I'm a little biased but adcoms never told me my GPA was horrible, just to retake the MCAT.

I'm applying DO this time in addition to MD, you should really try it. I have met a lot of DOs who specialize in prestigious fields, and I have a feeling you weren't gunning for an Internal Med residency at Hopkins anyway. If you want to be a doctor without a retake, why not cast a wide net?

Reactions: 1 users