Dissatisfied ENTs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheMightyAngus

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
In Iserson's it says that 38.8% of ENTs surveyed were "very satisfied" with their specialty but 25.2% were "dissatisfied" with their specialty. The dissatisfaction rate of ENTs was second only to psychiatry as the highest % of dissatisfied physicians. I know that reasons vary, but what are the common gripes that ENTs have about their specialty that aren't as common among other docs?

Members don't see this ad.

I personally am in the satisfied crowd, but knowing my colleagues, the most common dissatisfaction aspect I hear is that there is more primary care we perform than we care to do. ENT is very conducive to patients wanting an evaluation... the sore throat, the ear pain, the sniffles, etc... and don't bother to go to PCP for these issues. They don't realize that ENTs consider themselves surgeons...

Members don't see this ad :)
I also love what I do and would rather leave medicine than have to do something different. However, my bane is the dizzy patient without an etiology. Painful.

Oh yeah... the dizzy patient is quite painful.

I would say that the most common reason for dissatisfied oto's are the lowering compensation rates, but this would seem to apply to all physicians. I love what I do as well and can't imagine being in another field of medicine.

That said, I would rather be a doc of another sort than be out of the field altogether.

Can't tell you why that stats show that otos are more dissatisfied. Maybe we are just a bunch of whiners. I know that whining loudly was a key aspect of residency.

I'd take what Iserson says with a grain of salt. According to him, EM is more competitive than Ophthalmology. Yeah, sure buddy. (Note: He is an EM attending).

Some of these "studies" that he and other authors of such books quote are so bogus. How about that study about criteria for resident selection that Dr. Desai on SDN quoted around 2 weeks ago. Conclusion: 3rd yr grades are more important than board scores in the residency selection process. Obviously, LOTS of people on SDN disagreed (including me).

There are dissatisfied docs everywhere. Ask them why they're whining, make a note to yourself to never be like them, and move on.

Hmm... I've never met a dissatisfied ENT. Just my experience, but they all seem happy & satisfied with their field.