Distance learning biochem?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

smile87

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all! I have to take biochemistry this summer but the only school locally that is giving it is NYU for ~$4,000 - not including transportation!! Yikes! Anyone know of any distance learning (online) intro to biochemistry courses?? Thanks in advance! :)

Members don't see this ad.

sounds good, i am intersted in this aswell. if you find something let me know. but in reality, i doubt there will be much as its a "higher" level of biology.

smile87 said:
Hi all! I have to take biochemistry this summer but the only school locally that is giving it is NYU for ~$4,000 - not including transportation!! Yikes! Anyone know of any distance learning (online) intro to biochemistry courses?? Thanks in advance! :)

You can take it through Berkeley on line for 700-800 dollars! check it out

Members don't see this ad :)
DIRTIE said:

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! :)

Sounds good. Thanks!

DIRTIE said:
I am thinking to take the online class for Intro to Biochem offered by the Berkeley Extension. I am wondering if the credits can be counted to the science gpa and what dental schools think about an online biochem class, anyone has some idea?

Yea that would be a cool option. Some schools don't note that it is an online class on your transcript so you can't really tell difference between that and an actual class at school. I would assume that taking a science over the summer, via online or classroom, isn't looked highly upon by other schools. That is unless your regular semester grades are up to par. I mean, if your getting B's in classes like gen chem and al of a sudden you get an A in biochem then it might not carry as much weight.

I talked to several of the dental schools (IU, Temple, and a couple of others) that I plan on applying to and their comments were they will accept online credits only for the non-science prereqs (i.e. English and psychology (in the case of IU)). I'm taking several online classes over the next couple of years: technical writing, general psychology, developmental psychology, biological anthropology and human nutrition (the latter two are just for my own knowledge and interest). Look into Texas State and University of Florida, as they both have very good distance education programs.

Personally, even if they were to accept online biochem classes, I wouldn't recommend it.

There is a distance biochemistry class that was actually recommended to me by dental schools.

It goes through the University of New England in Main. It's called Medical Biochemistry and only focuses on human medical biochemistry. They disregard plant and microbial systems...which in my opinion, made it a lot more interesting. At the end of each chapter medical cases are used to demonstrate the relevance of biochemistry to health and disease.

The class is taught by a professor with something like 35 years of experience and I believe he actually taught in medical schools for part of that time. It's expensive though, something like $1000 or something. This includes: 2 textbooks, DVDs with lecture on each chapter, practice tests, and chapter highlights (all mailed to you, once you register). Your whole grade is based on a comprehensive final exam that must be taken with a proctor at your university testing center.

It's not an easy course. You will have to put a lot of time into this, probably more then or equal to the amount of time you would have spent in another upper level science courses offered at your university. It gives you 4 credit hours, in case your wondering.

The website for more information is: http://distance.une.edu and then click on Biochemistry.

Good luck! I would really recommend this to anyone that hasn't taken biochem yet. It would be a great help in dental school. Make sure you have the time for it though, because you will need it!

Also: Always check with your dental school before you do anything. But I'm pretty sure this one is a keeper.

Hope this helps...