Diversity Essay on Homeschooling

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PhoenixRising77

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was homeschooled and used this as my diversity essay -- I talked about helping teach my sisters, dealing with negative attitudes to homeschooling, impact on tutoring later, and how I could be good at patient education/connecting with patients because of this background. I'm looking back at my secondaries and was wondering if this was okay to do.

Members don't see this ad.

I was homeschooled and used this as my diversity essay -- I talked about helping teach my sisters, dealing with negative attitudes to homeschooling, impact on tutoring later, and how I could be good at patient education/connecting with patients because of this background. I'm looking back at my secondaries and was wondering if this was okay to do.
How is this relevant with the premise of a diversity essay? That you're homeschooled? You talk about teaching your sisters and your own attitudes, but I am confused how this engages with the diversity of other populations outside your own?

For reference, this is one of Duke's past secondaries: "Tell us more about X,Y,Z that define who you are as you contemplate a career that will interface with people who are similar AND dissimilar to you." How would your response answer diversity questions in full?

• Love
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
How is this relevant with the premise of a diversity essay? That you're homeschooled? You talk about teaching your sisters and your own attitudes, but I am confused how this engages with the diversity of other populations outside your own?

For reference, this is one of Duke's past secondaries: "Tell us more about X,Y,Z that define who you are as you contemplate a career that will interface with people who are similar AND dissimilar to you." How would your response answer diversity questions in full?
It really depends on how a secondary question is asked.
Texas schools want to hear what's unique about you that would add to their class cohort, and it can be literally anything.

Reactions: 5 users
It really depends on how a secondary question is asked.
Texas schools want to hear what's unique about you that would add to their class cohort, and it can be literally anything.
This is a fair take, but considering the number of secondaries applicants have to write, it's not a bad idea to create a comprehensive topic/narrative that can be reused for multiple schools. I'm sure an answer for Duke can be used for Texas, but not the other way around.

Let's face it, with the SCOTUS decision earlier this year, this question is now code for "how will you contribute to the diversity of the class -- maybe what makes you a minority?" Certainly, homeschooled individuals are a minority in the US population.

It may seem clever to write generic essays that can be used and reused but the best odds are with those who answer the prompt provided by the school with as much specificity as possible.

Reactions: 1 users
This is a fair take, but

To be clear -- I talk about how I learned that people learn differently, which I would not have seen as clearly if I was not taught one on one, and how I applied this attitude to my other experiences in college, such as tutoring a niche population and in health education during my nonclinical volunteering. When I answer a secondary like Duke's, I talk about my interactions with a specific community during my nonclinical volunteering. So I have two different diversity essays: one about me and another about my interactions with people who are dissimilar from me.

I just wanted to ensure that my homeschooling experience could answer questions like "how I could add to the diversity of the medical school class" or "describe a unique life experience."

Absolutely. Did you disclose this in your Other Impactful Experiences? Otherwise, as pointed out and what I usually ask, what's the prompt?

For others or your confidence: "Educated" by Tara Westover
If you don't have time, read

Last edited:
Absolutely. Did you disclose this in your Other Impactful Experiences? Otherwise, as pointed out and what I usually ask, what's the prompt?

For others or your confidence: "Educated" by Tara Westover
If you don't have time, read
Unfortunately, I didn't. I guess I assumed that the other impactful experiences were for those who have more of a disadvantaged background or adversity in their life.

Unfortunately, I didn't. I guess I assumed that the other impactful experiences were for those who have more of a disadvantaged background or adversity in their life.
Not a problem. There are lots of chances to discuss during the process.