This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

miaprgase0512

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi! I am currently writing some secondaries and would like some opinions on the diversity essay. I have two ideas and I'm not sure if they can be considered good for diversity or under represented status:

1. This one is more factual. Basically I am writing about how my experiences with medical diseases like my celiac disease and my mom's pancreatic cancer, paired with coming to terms with my LGBT sexual orientation, affected my mental health. I want to say how these diverse experiences prepared me to deal with others empathetically and how I overcame everything to be a compassionate well rounded physician.

2. This one captures more of my personality traits I'd say. I start by saying how my grandma gave me a stuffed animal when I was younger and I valued it dearly taking care of it. I go on to say how special and unique my relationship with my grandma was and how she taught me to love traveling and meeting diverse people. Then go into her Alzheimer's and how I was her caretaker like I took care of the stuffed animal she gave me. She passed away while I was studying abroad so I want to say how she would have wanted me to continue traveling and how she still lives on through the stuffed animal and I want to help others hold onto the things and people they hold dearly.

Let me know your thoughts and if they could fit and qualify as diverse experiences!

Members don't see this ad.

1) Use this. It says who you are, your growth as a person and how that has shaped your world view.

2) Too saccharine. The story is not about you. However, being a caretaker for someone does show empathy and can be used anecdotally in other essays. Just drop the stuffed animal analogy.

Reactions: 1 users
Common, but fine fodder. I'd prefer "what's cool about you?"

1. This one is more factual. Basically I am writing about how my experiences with medical diseases like my celiac disease and my mom's pancreatic cancer, paired with coming to terms with my LGBT sexual orientation, affected my mental health. I want to say how these diverse experiences prepared me to deal with others empathetically and how I overcame everything to be a compassionate well rounded physician.