DMD grad here ..happy to help with admissions, career advice, or AMA!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I do look at dental deals but we are also interested in other industries outside health care.

Most people who buy practices take out a loan so technically that is also an LBO lol. There are many approaches to entrepreneurship, happy to chat offline if interested.
What does your week look like hours wise? How are you splitting time between dentistry and PE? Do you see yourself focusing on one over the other in the future?

Did your PE firm bring you on to focus on dental practice buyout/consolidation, or are you doing all sorts of PE deals?

Members don't see this ad.

Absolutely do not need an MBA to run a practice. My best advice would instead be to jump into ownership as soon as possible. That is really the best way to learn. CC/online classes are fine if you need more structured learning but there are so many great books out there on entrepreneurship and accounting that will give you what you need. Dental podcasts/facebook groups can be helpful as well.
Does this mean you'd recommend buying a practice right off the bat? I've heard that can be a risky move with the learning curve (i.e not making enough money to stay afloat due to inefficiency, slowness, etc.).
Also, what are some of the metrics you look at when deciding where to practice? Obviously you don't want to open up shop in an oversaturated area, but you also don't want to be in the middle of a cow pasture. How do most graduates find that balance?

Does this mean you'd recommend buying a practice right off the bat? I've heard that can be a risky move with the learning curve (i.e not making enough money to stay afloat due to inefficiency, slowness, etc.).
Also, what are some of the metrics you look at when deciding where to practice? Obviously you don't want to open up shop in an oversaturated area, but you also don't want to be in the middle of a cow pasture. How do most graduates find that balance?

Sorry for the late replies been very busy lately!

I’ve seen people buy an office right after grad and be successful. Really depends on your confidence level and willingness to commit to a location. Location wise - first pick an area you feel comfortable settling down at least a few years. You can still do well in a competitive area - it especially helps to have a broad skill set and target the right areas. As far as demographics it really depends on you. High end, fee for service practice works for some docs wheres volume based, insurance driven offices works for others. Both have their own unique challenges. It helps to get experience in these settings to know what environment you prefer.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Do you think it is worth it for student to pursue a traditional 2 year MBA post-dental school, and just work part time on weekends as a dentist?

How difficult is it to get into the MBA program as a dental student? How many HSDM students are accepted into the MBA program each year? Does it require any corporate experience?

Thanks so much for answering! Out of curiosity, how difficult is it to get into the MBA program as a dental student? How many HSDM students are accepted into the MBA program each year? Does it require any corporate experience?
Usually 1 goes every few years. It is more popular with med students. As for difficulty not sure - maybe a bit better than average chance when you are already at the school.

Reactions: 1 user