Dmu 2012

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

grinley

DMU Class of 2012;)
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone. I decided to go to DMU. Anyone else, pm me. I'd like to get to know you.

Members don't see this ad.

You made a great choice. I really enjoyed my time there and would do it all over again. Luckily I paid attention the first time so I dont have to. :D

I'm going to DMU too!!! I'm so excited:)

Members don't see this ad :)
nm

Last edited:
Congrats guys you made a great choice! I am in my first year right now, just finished biochem! If any of you have any questions you can ask on here or pm me.

Hey dude! I'd like to get to know you so I could have some friends when I get there!

nm

Last edited:
My interview is next friday. Hopefully I will be joining that facebook group soon!

We have some fun events the first week of school where the first years and second years get hang out. This is a really good way to meet a lot of the 2nd years.

nm

Last edited:
do you guys know when we start the financial aid process???

Can anyone comment on the city of Des Moines itself? I got an interview next week but I'm curious what it's actually like there. My hometown is very close to new york city so I am thinking its gonna be much different. Definitely cheaper cost of living! :thumbup:

How about things to do when you have free time?

Members don't see this ad :)
Can anyone comment on the city of Des Moines itself? I got an interview next week but I'm curious what it's actually like there. My hometown is very close to new york city so I am thinking its gonna be much different. Definitely cheaper cost of living! :thumbup:

How about things to do when you have free time?

It's not New York by any means but, there are things to do around town. Plenty of bars if you enjoy that sort of thing, plays,concerts, Iowa state fai,r ect...
My only complaint is that there isn't really any pro sports except for minor league teams. Pm if you have any specific questions.

oncogene

Hey, I am headed down the street to DMU next August. I am from Des Moines and have lived here my whole life (aside from the 4 years in Iowa City) so if anybody has any questions (where to live, things to do, where to go, etc) let me know. Oh, and I just joined that facebook group, so hi to everyone in that.
-jeff

My deposit to DMU left my mailbox this week! We picked a great school, didn't we? I personally think its the best (but everyone seems to think their school is the best). I can't wait to meet you all! :D

My deposit to DMU left my mailbox this week! We picked a great school, didn't we? I personally think its the best (but everyone seems to think their school is the best). I can't wait to meet you all! :D

Congrats to all.

nm

Last edited:
I was there on Nov 30th. I knew Meghan from a previous visit and she told me that she was really glad that I got my interview when I did because the class was filling up VERY fast. 9 people were in my interview group that day. Who knows, but from the way it sounded, I think my group might have been at the tail end of the acceptances. I'm pretty curious myself, so if anyone got in after November, let us know!

So I have been down by DMU today trying to find somewhere to live. I forgot how much of a pain it is to find apartments! There are a lot, but they all seem really old.

Does anyone have suggestions other than 3000 Grand?

I was there on Nov 30th. I knew Meghan from a previous visit and she told me that she was really glad that I got my interview when I did because the class was filling up VERY fast. 9 people were in my interview group that day. Who knows, but from the way it sounded, I think my group might have been at the tail end of the acceptances. I'm pretty curious myself, so if anyone got in after November, let us know!

uh-oh this doesn't sound too good...:(
i interview on jan 11th...hopefully they'll have seats then too...

well, i just checked my e-mail...it seems like there are still several spots open....
maybe they experienced an unexpected rush and thought spots might be filling up earlier this year??

nm

Last edited:
So I have been down by DMU today trying to find somewhere to live. I forgot how much of a pain it is to find apartments! There are a lot, but they all seem really old.

Does anyone have suggestions other than 3000 Grand?

Since you are going to be in Iowa for awhile you should think about buying. I bought a four bedroom house 3 miles from the school and my monthly payment was less than rent for an apt at 3000 Grand. I graduate this may so its time to sell and start looking to buy where I'll be doing my residency. If you end up selling your home for what you paid for it after four years you essentiall you lived rent free for four years. Not bad when you consider an apt at 3000 Grand would end up costing you about 36000 for four years. PM me if your interested. Good luck. :D

well, i just checked my e-mail...it seems like there are still several spots open....
maybe they experienced an unexpected rush and thought spots might be filling up earlier this year??

Thats quite possible. Meghan also told me this summer that class size depends on the strength of the applicants. Sometimes when they have so many good applicants they do extend their class size. SO during your interview, act confident and thrilled to be there and if they really think that you'd be an asset, then you have a chance. Typically the class is full around February. Who knows what it is this year :confused:. Good luck!

Since you are going to be in Iowa for awhile you should think about buying. I bought a four bedroom house 3 miles from the school and my monthly payment was less than rent for an apt at 3000 Grand. I graduate this may so its time to sell and start looking to buy where I'll be doing my residency. If you end up selling your home for what you paid for it after four years you essentiall you lived rent free for four years. Not bad when you consider an apt at 3000 Grand would end up costing you about 36000 for four years. PM me if your interested. Good luck. :D

Same shameless plung, if you are interested in owning PM me and I'll forward any houses that DMU students have listed, including mine.

so has everyone completed the financial aid packet? I did mine, kinda confusing but i think for the most part i did it right :(

so has everyone completed the financial aid packet? I did mine, kinda confusing but i think for the most part i did it right :(

I finished mine last week and I agree with the confusing part. I wish there was a checkoff list so we could see if our stuff went through. I guess now we just wait until the money posts.

Still looking for a roommate. Anyone wanna live across from campus with a Texican? HA.

nm

Last edited:
When/where did you guys get the financial packets? I haven't gotten mine yet. I put my deposite down in Jan.

When/where did you guys get the financial packets? I haven't gotten mine yet. I put my deposite down in Jan.

I recieved my statement online, with a breakdown of which loans i qualified for, i think i recieved it last week.

If anyone with a family is looking for a house to rent, I have a fourbed room home close to the school for rent. I am headed to Detroit for residency and looking to rent it to a fellow DMUer. 900/month. PM me for more info.

nm

Last edited:
nm

Last edited:
nm

Last edited:
I have no idea where I'm going to be living yet. I...

Yeah good luck. I locked up a place at 3G too but before they were already full. There are still places close to campus but they're less than ideal if you're picky. Should't be that bad if you do your research though. If I can find places from Texas, you can too man. Pm if you need anything else.

nm

Last edited:
How did you guys negotiate moving in around August? I called some places and they said they're not gonna hold the apartment until late July for me, and I'm going to have to move in immediately if I want it. I really don't know what to do about this living arrangement. Oh well, it's Des Moines I'm sure I can find an apartment somewhere. I hate moving so much!

J0ez0r, I am probably going to be going out there around that time. I love to golf, though I am not very good. I am at the stage where I either hit a good shot or I shank it 30 feet on the ground.

J0ez0r, I am probably going to be going out there around that time. I love to golf, though I am not very good. I am at the stage where I either hit a good shot or I shank it 30 feet on the ground.

awesome! trust me, im no scratch golfer either :laugh: thatll be nice to get out and enjoy the outdoors before school starts. are you in the facebook group?

No, I don't have a facebook, I should probably get one though... How many are on there so far?