DMU Housing

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ionic

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wondering when is the appropriate time to look at housing for this coming fall. I'm thinking of flying to Des Moines in late June or July to apartment hunt. What about you guys? Tips or comments are appreciated. Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

It depends on when you are looking to move in. I moved in July so I went apartment shopping in May. Most apartments want the application to be within 3 months. Are you married, sinlge, kids, dogs, ect? I can give you a better suggestion with more info.

I'm single, no pets; probably looking to move in late July, so I guess I'll drop by in May to hunt. How are the apartments right next to DMU by the way? Do you have any apartments that you would recommend? I just want a decent apartment in a safe neighborhood (I heard the Drake area is pretty dangerous). Thanks a ton

Members don't see this ad :)
That would be my suggestion. There are a lot of apartments near school that are okay. 3000 Grand is probably the most popular, but I would get an apartment guide when you get into town. Then I would look at apartments from 42 to 19th from I-235 to Grand.

That would be my suggestion. There are a lot of apartments near school that are okay. 3000 Grand is probably the most popular, but I would get an apartment guide when you get into town. Then I would look at apartments from 42 to 19th from I-235 to Grand.
I actually wouldn't look much further east then 30th street and there are some parts that are north of 235 (Beaverdale area) that are really nice and only end up being 3 miles or so from campus, but that is more for if you are looking to rent a house. Every area has good and bad.

Although alot of the apartments right next to campus do not have that nice of accomodations everyone we know who lives there enjoys being so close to campus and if they are in The Imperial (directly across the street for campus) they like how cheap their rent is. If you're single I think your best bet is finding a place close to campus at least for your first year.

We came out a couple of times and what we ran into alot of was that some of the places didn't know what they would have avaiable until a month or two before because they only required a 30 - 60 notice if their current tenants were moving. If you aren't looking to move until late July I think you would be fine going in early June. Just one opionion from our experience.

Thanks for the input guys. I am looking at Terrace Hill apartment on 2525 Grand Avenue. I know that's just a few blocks from school but I was wondering about how safe that neighborhood is? Thanks

Thanks for the input guys. I am looking at Terrace Hill apartment on 2525 Grand Avenue. I know that's just a few blocks from school but I was wondering about how safe that neighborhood is? Thanks

I drove down Grand on my way to work and didn't see those apartments, but Terrace Hill looks nice enough. There are some rundown apartment buildings around 28th street, but it's like that even across the street for campus. So if you like the price and amenities of Terrace Hill then it will probably be fine. I think close to campus is better, but you aren't really that far so it probably wouldn't matter.

anywhere in town is only 20 minutes from the the university. i'd recommend west des moines, i looked there.

I've changed my opionion of Terrace Hill Apartments, I finallly was able to see them from Grand and I don't think they look very nice at all. I think you would be better off with something closer to campus or out in West Des Moines. But that's just my opionion who knows maybe they are nice on the inside.

I'm starting in the fall and I just got my apt yesterday in West Des Moines. There are a ton of nice places and it takes maybe 10 minutes to get to school. I looked all over by campus and I didn't find anything I liked plus they were old and expensive for what you got. Just my opinion though, I'm sure there are some nice apts by DMU.

If any of you guys are interested I have a four bedroom 1.5 bath house that is really close to the school for rent. I'm headed to Detroit for residency and would love to rent it to some DMUers. PM me if interested.

Well that blows, I was hoping to just get an apartment without actually going to Des Moines but I guess I'm gonna have to. Podwif, thanks for checking that out for me.

On a completely unrelated topic, is anybody worried about winter driving in Des Moines? I don't have a 4WD vehicle, so I'm a little concerned about that. Thanks for answering all these petty questions guys.

Well that blows, I was hoping to just get an apartment without actually going to Des Moines but I guess I'm gonna have to. Podwif, thanks for checking that out for me.

On a completely unrelated topic, is anybody worried about winter driving in Des Moines? I don't have a 4WD vehicle, so I'm a little concerned about that. Thanks for answering all these petty questions guys.

being from texas, yeah i guess im concerned about the weather but thats one reason im living close to campus. but then again, i have a 4WD truck that i can load down with wood if i need to drive a ways. ive heard if all else fails go into the snow banks

You will be fine. The first snow just go out to a mall parking lot and practice a little. After one snow you will be a pro. And after the winter we've had hopefully next year there will be no snow at all!

West Des Moines is really nice, but no matter where you live you are pretty close to school. I like living a ways out because when I leave school, I actually LEAVE school and don't just go across the street. Some days it would be nice to live right near campus, but for the most part I don't regret living out in WDM. I guess it really comes down to what you are looking for and it seems like you can get a lot more for your money out in WDM than right near school, especially if you are looking at getting a 2 or 3 bedroom place!

Anyone out there need a roommate? I'm an incoming DPM-12 and really just want someone to split bills with. Looking to move up there early to mid July and prefer someplace close to campus.