DMU Prompt- Exposure to Osteopathic Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LukaDoncicLuk

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm struggling to answer this DMU prompt: "Please describe your exposure to osteopathic medicine, including (but not limited to) experiences with physicians in primary care or rural practice within the U.S. How have these experiences impacted you and your pursuit of osteopathic medical education as it relates to the mission of Des Moines University?"

I have not shadowed any DOs and the only exposure I have to Osteopathic Medicine is through this forum (lol).

I have shadowed a family medicine doctor extensively (60 hrs). He works in a rural clinic that seeks to meet the needs its underserved population (agricultural workers/hispanic immigrants). I could write extensively about this experience and I saw components of Osteopathic Medicine (treating whole patient, addressing lifestyle, etc) but the doctor was an MD.

How should I address this question?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm struggling to answer this DMU prompt: "Please describe your exposure to osteopathic medicine, including (but not limited to) experiences with physicians in primary care or rural practice within the U.S. How have these experiences impacted you and your pursuit of osteopathic medical education as it relates to the mission of Des Moines University?"

I have not shadowed any DOs and the only exposure I have to Osteopathic Medicine is through this forum (lol).

I have shadowed a family medicine doctor extensively (60 hrs). He works in a rural clinic that seeks to meet the needs its underserved population (agricultural workers/hispanic immigrants). I could write extensively about this experience and I saw components of Osteopathic Medicine (treating whole patient, addressing lifestyle, etc) but the doctor was an MD.

I was in your situation where I hadn’t shadowed a DO and had to answer this question for DMU. Just write about your understanding of osteopathic medicine. That’s all I did, and I got in.

Trying to answer the prompt int he context of the bold is a really good way to get rejected.

Frankly, you can't answer the question...you have ZERO exposure to Osteopathy.

So find a DO to shadow.

IF there is a DO school within driving distance, go visit and chat up the DO faculty.

Failing that, write off DMU.

EDIT: just read the post above mine...don't know what that worked, am happy for him.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Trying to answer the prompt int he context of the bold is a really good way to get rejected.

Frankly, you can't answer the question...you have ZERO exposure to Osteopathy.

So find a DO to shadow.

IF there is a DO school within driving distance, go visit and chat up the DO faculty.

Failing that, write off DMU.

EDIT: just read the post above mine...don't know what that worked, am happy for him.

I have been trying very hard to find DO shadowing opportunities but I am working full-time and volunteering on the weekends so it is tough to find the time. I am going to try and look into shadowing nocturnists if I can find a DO because that would actually fit with my schedule.

I've talked to a couple of DOs ( no shadowing with them unfortunately) and they kind of laughed about OMM and basically said being a DO is exactly the same as an MD. Obviously can't touch on those points in this essay or interviews (if I'm lucky enough to receive one).

I have been trying very hard to find DO shadowing opportunities but I am working full-time and volunteering on the weekends so it is tough to find the time. I am going to try and look into shadowing nocturnists if I can find a DO because that would actually fit with my schedule.

I've talked to a couple of DOs ( no shadowing with them unfortunately) and they kind of laughed about OMM and basically said being a DO is exactly the same as an MD. Obviously can't touch on those points in this essay or interviews (if I'm lucky enough to receive one).

You CAN mention the bolded!!!