DMU waitlist

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rushrhees

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Good afternoon all. Just got news I was wait listed at DMU, I will admit my GPA is a bit on their lower end, I suppose the MCAT can't pull the whole wagon. Anyway does anyone know about how many they take from the wait list (I know there is topic on this but it is almost 6 years old) in recent days.
I am in at RFU and Kent. NYCPM and CSPM are calling asking when I want to interview me so at least have options. I liked DMU more than what I have seen. I told the addmisssions rep to keep me on the list. While it would suck, but would consider eating where ever I send the deposit to if DMU calls me in July.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Kent is $1000 as well.

You are all right, I think pretty much all the schools are 1K. I will get to NYCPM and the westcoast ASAP and give the lucky school the G. If DMU decided to take me, then I would give it a thought. I am more wondering if anyone has had experience with the waitlist. In all honesty I see it as a polite rejection letter. Their class is not all that big, I can not imagine there can be more than a handful that get spots in the summer. The letter itself said they will not tell you where you stand on the list.

Under the impression that everyone is $1,000 except DMU which is $500.

Here's my take - it doesn't matter what your position is on the list. What matters is - can you do something to get yourself off the list. I would ask. Would an improved MCAT or some sort of new experiences make a difference. Maybe that's overly demanding and unrealistic, but phonecalls are free.

Just a bit of info: Only half of the $1000 deposit at Scholl goes to your tuition next year. The other $500 goes to orientation fees.

Good afternoon all. Just got news I was wait listed at DMU, I will admit my GPA is a bit on their lower end, I suppose the MCAT can't pull the whole wagon.

So are you too afraid to tell a bunch of other pre-podiatry students your actual GPA and MCAT score??? I am not being rude, but don't know why you just don't straight up say your science GPA and cumulative GPA. Especially b/c then some of the current Des Moines students would be able to see if any of them were on that line as well.

Also, most people refer to RFU as Scholl College (the guy from the Orthotics, Dr. Scholl's). I was confused when you said RFU.

The issue you do have is that you have ALREADY been accepted to 2 schools and that is a guarantee, but DMU is not a guarantee for you.

But good luck. Hopefully you get what you wanted.

So are you too afraid to tell a bunch of other pre-podiatry students your actual GPA and MCAT score??? I am not being rude, but don't know why you just don't straight up say your science GPA and cumulative GPA. Especially b/c then some of the current Des Moines students would be able to see if any of them were on that line as well.

Also, most people refer to RFU as Scholl College (the guy from the Orthotics, Dr. Scholl's). I was confused when you said RFU.

The issue you do have is that you have ALREADY been accepted to 2 schools and that is a guarantee, but DMU is not a guarantee for you.

Well, that certainly came off as mildly rude. However, if you search his posts, he does state his stats a while back. I did this, but I'm studying for finals right now and don't have the time to search.

Well, that certainly came off as mildly rude. However, if you search his posts, he does state his stats a while back. I did this, but I'm studying for finals right now and don't have the time to search.

Yeah I don't have time to look back through his past posts either, which is why I said this. All I am saying is that you shouldn't be afraid to post your actual GPA not say "well it isn't good." His 'not good' could be completely different from everyone else 'not good'

Not trying to sound like an A-hole, but sorry if it came out. If he did post his actual GPA people who were in that nearly same area last year could help him out. All I am saying

My GPA is 2.9 sci and cum and have a 31q MCAT. While I do not expect anyone to look at my old posts they would show I am very open my stats. Anyway my interest in Dmu is more just the feel that they are an excellent fit for me. At this point I am probably just going to send Scholl the grand. Will still interview at others. Late November and December turned out to be busier at work which kept me from taking more time from traveling to interviews. I will admit should have asked what can done to push me over the top.

My GPA is 2.9 sci and cum and have a 31q MCAT. While I do not expect anyone to look at my old posts they would show I am very open my stats. Anyway my interest in Dmu is more just the feel that they are an excellent fit for me. At this point I am probably just going to send Scholl the grand. Will still interview at others. Late November and December turned out to be busier at work which kept me from taking more time from traveling to interviews. I will admit should have asked what can done to push me over the top.

Solid mcat! Can i ask how you prepared for the test? I'm surprised they didn't accept you right away with that mcat score. There must of been something else lacking, maybe a bad essay, bad interview, did you shadow? what was your major? My app to dmu was placed on hold pending mcat score.

Solid mcat! Can i ask how you prepared for the test? I'm surprised they didn't accept you right away with that mcat score. There must of been something else lacking, maybe a bad essay, bad interview, did you shadow? what was your major? My app to dmu was placed on hold pending mcat score.

Or the class is almost full. (which it is)

I'm actually a bit surprised that DMU waitlisted you with those scores. Strange.

same here..Who would have guessed that someone with a 31 would get wait listed...good luck my friend. If you really want to go to DMU apply next cycle, for sure you will be guaranteed everywhere.

Major was Chemistry at Loyola University Chicago. That could have been it, maybe something I said in the interview or the essay, all those are possible. Also looking at the class of 2017 DMU facebook page there already are a decent amount of seats taken. Overall what ever happend happenend, it is more DMU was my first choice so that is why is was sort of a bummer essentially getting rejected.. The other thing too from their prospective is their average GPA is 3.3-3.4, so a 2.9 is a bit behind that component.

As for the MCAT here is what I did
1. Took Kaplan and took all the AAMC practice tests. Big thing is truly look at what you are getting wrong. If time or money do not permit the kaplan class, then all those books can still be found on bit torrent or even some town libraries.
2. Kept flash cards on me at all times even if waiting for an elevator I could review a topic or fact.
3. For VR I practiced as much as I could and read more "difficult" articles online (wikipremed has links to sites with such articles) and try to analyze their arguments and think of questions the MCAT would ask if this actually was on the test (even think of what would be offered as wrong answers).
Final tip that is not offered in many books, on a lot of the passage questions in the sciences you can often answer a couple questions without reading any line of the passage.
I will end with that I truly think a 26 or better is fully achievable by anyone on this forum , the science behind it is all freshman and sophomore level topics. If one is getting a low twenties or even in the teens, they either have not practiced and studied enough, have test anxiety, or do not have a full grasp of English. Too many seem to just take the test, get a bad score, and just rush to take it again while studying the same way they did before only to get a similar score.
If you have any more detailed questions on my MCAT study routine or strategies feel free to PM me.
I will just close out in saying that

Or the class is almost full. (which it is)

:thumbup: In the facebook group, there are about 35 students supposedly already deposited. Assuming Facebook hasn't found all of them (could we be missing ~10?!), that means there is only about 8 seats left. Or, more realistically like 20, but still, the class is definitely over half full and I think schools expect a large influx of apps when people start realizing their medical school dream is dead.

Major was Chemistry at Loyola University Chicago. That could have been it, maybe something I said in the interview or the essay, all those are possible. Also looking at the class of 2017 DMU facebook page there already are a decent amount of seats taken. Overall what ever happend happenend, it is more DMU was my first choice so that is why is was sort of a bummer essentially getting rejected.. The other thing too from their prospective is their average GPA is 3.3-3.4, so a 2.9 is a bit behind that component.

I don't know how widely applied this is in the pre-pod world, but have you considered a letter of intent?

:thumbup: In the facebook group, there are about 35 students supposedly already deposited. Assuming Facebook hasn't found all of them (could we be missing ~10?!), that means there is only about 8 seats left. Or, more realistically like 20, but still, the class is definitely over half full and I think schools expect a large influx of apps when people start realizing their medical school dream is dead.

I remember the director of admissions for the DPM program stated that January is usually when they get the torrent of applications, that would coincide with med school hopefuls looking to find an alternate. As for the 8 spots it is probably a done deal for the most part, there has to be a couple who have not signed up for that group, I can not imagine there are a whole lot left.

As for the letter of intent, interesting idea. I have not read about them for the DPM world, I suppose it is worth a shot. At this point I view getting put on that wait list pretty much tantamount to a polite rejection letter, so I can not really lose much standing with the school