DO 4th yr, applying to TY bc of military-- go back and take USMLE to reach top tier next year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GYNEwannabe

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all--
So here's the story: I'm a 4th yr DO student, am in the top 10% of my class, top 15% for COMLEX 1 and 2 (585, 655 respectively), great LORs in my field, lots of volunteer experience, etc, etc... However... I am also in the military and matched into a Transitional Year-Civilian spot. To keep the explanation short, there just aren't as many spots in the military match, so often people with solid applications still end up not getting categorical spots.

So I'm looking at this as an opportunity to enhance my application as much as I can before next year.
I did not take the USMLE because the military basically said that it was unnecessary--however, now I am leaning a lot more towards competing for civilian residency spots--so I am wondering if as a 4th year, I should take the USMLE to boost my ACGME application for next year in hopes of getting into a more top-tier program? If so, should I take Step 1 or Step 2?

Thanks so much for any and all advice! I don't know any one who has gone back and taken USMLE afterwards, so I have no idea which would be best!

Members don't see this ad.

What that means is that military decided that they want me to complete a TY at a civilian institution. I still have to go through the ACGME match in March. We are instructed to apply and interview for TY and categorical positions simultaneously in case we match TY in the military match. So I have not actually secured a TY position yet, just assigned to it as far as the military goes. Sorry that could have been clearer.