DO acceptance for low MCAT score?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

doctry23

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can people who have received interview invites/acceptance with an MCAT score below 495 comment which schools they've heard back from! Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Can people who have received interview invites/acceptance with an MCAT score below 495 comment which schools they've heard back from! Thank you!
It's possible and some do get accepted. Certain factors go into it. URM status, socioeconomic status, legacy, etc..a sub 495 mcat is 35 % tile or less. A significant red flag for course and or board failures in med school.Probably better to take a year and improve your score. Depending on GPA, and consider a SMP too. Good luck and best wishes.

• Love
Reactions: 1 users
I had a 496 MCAT with a 3.71 cGPA and 3.64sGPA. I entered a special masters program with VCOM that is fully online. I ended up getting a 4.0 and updated my aacomas application and the interview invites started rolling in. I got 6 interview invites in total from:

Burrell College of Osteopathic Medicine
Lincoln Memorial University - Debusk College of Osteopathic Medicine
Arkansas College of Osteopathic Medicine
Noorda College of Osteopathic Medicine
A.T. Still University SOMA
Edward Via College of Osteopathic Medicine

I ended up choosing VCOM (VA) since I was already in their SMP and have seen many of their classes and professors and know a few people that are current medical students there. For more information regarding my application I had 4000+ hours working as an associate scientist helping to develop pharmaceutical drugs like CAR-T cell therapy for cancer patients (leukemia and lymphoma). 150 hours of shadowing a family physician. 150 hours volunteering at the Emergency department at a nearby hospital. I also had 1,000+ hours of being president of my fraternity where we did many philanthropic events and volunteer work around the community which I'll leave out. I received a chapter president excellency reward, earned provost scholar my sophomore year, and graduated Magna Cum Laude (Dean's list in 6 out of 8 semesters). While working as an associate scientist I was promoted to our team lead overseeing many experiments and earned a spotlight award during my time working there. I hope this helps!

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
have a buddy that got into my DO school with a 490. unfortunately he had to remediate first year and is struggling yet again this time around. Would recommend changing study methods and trying again for MCAT to see if you have the endurance and grit to make it in med school. Dont push yourself if youre not ready, take a masters if you need it. Its okay to be late to the game! best of luck :)

Reactions: 2 users
have a buddy that got into my DO school with a 490. unfortunately he had to remediate first year and is struggling yet again this time around. Would recommend changing study methods and trying again for MCAT to see if you have the endurance and grit to make it in med school. Dont push yourself if youre not ready, take a masters if you need it. Its okay to be late to the game! best of luck :)
For future lurkers, a TL/DR summary:

Take your SMP year to learn how to study vs. remediate while in medical school to avoid failing out (and never becoming a doctor). In this situation the SMP is cheaper than the inability to pay off medical school debt with a wrecked career as a doctor.

• Love
Reactions: 3 users