Do ADCOM see what med schools you apply to???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gatorsj

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am just curious as to if admissions committee see the amount of med schools you apply to (and which med schools you apply to) on the primary app. I've seen a number of profiles where students got into a med school, only applying to a few (about 4-5).

Any insight?
Do med schools look down on applying to many IF they have info on that?

Members don't see this ad.

They won't have that information. No worries. :)

the only time information is shared is after the deadline to release multiple acceptances from schools. After that point, schools that have accepted you will know what other schools you are holding on to.

Members don't see this ad :)
As a re-applicant, some schools ask if you have applied before and if so, what schools did you apply to?

Are you required to provide them this information?

For example, Mount Sinai asks a question about if you are a re-app and list the schools. Are we required to list every school?

For example, Mount Sinai asks a question about if you are a re-app and list the schools. Are we required to list every school?

They can ask whether you applied previously, but they have no business knowing where you applied. It isnt an appropriate question to ask, nor is a med school's business to know.

At a lot of the schools I interviewed at, ADCOMS always asked about other schools I applied to.

I don't really see what the big deal is, except that they might be tempted to discuss your file with another school. You should be judged based on your fitness for that particular school, regardless of whether it's the only school you applied to or you applied to every single school.

At a lot of the schools I interviewed at, ADCOMS always asked about other schools I applied to.

Same here. It seemed like they used it as a way of figuring out why I applied there because most commented that I applied to all schools in the northeast

What would be the best answer to this (considering you aren't an honest person)? Would it be best to list the school's main competitors like other schools nearby, or maybe say that you are only applying to a few schools that you are really interested in (ie, like just you and my state school)?

Nova Southeastern University (DO school in florida) has a quesiton on the secondary that asks you to list all other schools applied to, including MD. Its a required question. Such a waste and totally irrelevant.

What would be the best answer to this (considering you aren't an honest person)? Would it be best to list the school's main competitors like other schools nearby, or maybe say that you are only applying to a few schools that you are really interested in (ie, like just you and my state school)?

Well the way I applied to schools was a little weird and shallow. I went to college at UF and sports and school spirit is a big deal to me. Thus, I pretty much opened US Newsweek, looked through top 25 schools with a notable athletic department and fairly large undergraduate population, and applied away. Of course there were a couple instate exceptions and other schools (such as NYU) that seemed interesting. When asked by ADCOMS, I talked about prestige, sports, and etc.

The TMDSAS application for Texas schools also asks you to list all other schools you're applying to. We should have the right to decline IMHO. :D

If we get asked in an interview, is it ok to just say "you guys and some other schools around this area."???

I've heard from an undergrad adcomm at my school that those who apply to my school and list that they are also applying to my school's competitors are more likely to get scholarship money (and acceptance).

what happened to the whole "apply broadly" advice that everyone gives??

i mean some people don't have stellar stats, and need every advantage they can muster in the application process. if that means applying to 20+ schools in hopes one will bite, i don't think medical schools should hold that against them. sure it shows that you are desperate, but if you ultimately want to become a doctor, beggars can't be choosers