Do ADCOMS keep previous apps?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

qwepoi

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I was just wondering if adcoms keep a student's previous application for comparison. I know that many secondaries ask if the applicant is a re-applicant. However, as a potential re-applicant, I would hope that they look at my application with a fresh eye. Anyone know? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi,

I was just wondering if adcoms keep a student's previous application for comparison. I know that many secondaries ask if the applicant is a re-applicant. However, as a potential re-applicant, I would hope that they look at my application with a fresh eye. Anyone know? Thanks!

As far as I know, there are schools who keep all the application files and will look at the re-apps old files...I am not sure if this goes for all schools or only some schools.

I know some do (this worked in my favor when I was a reapp at one school -- my LOR got misplaced and they said they'd just pull my old ones - they were all great LORs so no problems).

Don't know if all do. You should ask the individual school in question.

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't know if we keep them or not - that's a staff function, not a committee function. I would be surprised if they toss old apps since you might sue us. :oops:
Being a reapp can really help you in my committe if you
1) talked to the director of admissions about how to improve your app, and then
2) took specific steps to do the things we asked.

To that end, we often ask the director of admissions (who attends our meetings in a non-voting role) if he/she spoke to the applicant and what improvements were suggested.

Hi,

I reapplied several times with many years between applications. At least one school had kept my old app even after 10+ years, while one other had not. I don't know about the rest of them. Since you're probably talking about a difference between last year and this, I would suggest that you assume that they do have your old app., and go from there. :)

Thanks for everyone's responses! Keeping an app seems to help in showing improvement.

I don't know if we keep them or not - that's a staff function, not a committee function. I would be surprised if they toss old apps since you might sue us. :oops:
Being a reapp can really help you in my committe if you
1) talked to the director of admissions about how to improve your app, and then
2) took specific steps to do the things we asked.

To that end, we often ask the director of admissions (who attends our meetings in a non-voting role) if he/she spoke to the applicant and what improvements were suggested.

What would be the best way to contact the director of admissions? via email? It would be ideal if I could schedule a meeting to go over my application, but most of the schools I applied to aren't very close. As always, your advice is greatly appreciated.

Yes they do. If your last app was several years ago (true in my case), I don't think that they'd go back that far.

What would be the best way to contact the director of admissions? via email? It would be ideal if I could schedule a meeting to go over my application, but most of the schools I applied to aren't very close. As always, your advice is greatly appreciated.

Email or phone is fine.

Some schools don't. I know NU during my interview said they don't keep records. There would be too many. They had no idea I applied the year before.

since schools may keep old application, is it necessary to rewrite PS? How much update is needed? I really like my PS and people have complimented it...I see the need to update, but I don't want to change the structure too much.

Also, do the rest of the AMCAS EC mini essays and school specific secondary essays need to be changed much?

Just to be clear, I'm not looking to submit the same application (& same weaknesses) over again, I'm adding that I'm enrolled in SMP next year and will hopefully have kicka** grades to show off come Jan 08.

thanks