do australian universities give out provisional/conditional offers

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ofcourse1

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
has anyone who applied to an australian university got a conditional/provisional offer? i know this is something the universities do in the UK, but what about australia? any ideas.

Members don't see this ad.

As a general answer yes we do, but it depends on the circumstances. At Wollongong if we have a candidate who has not completed their degree but is progressing well towards it, then we are happy to make a conditional offer provisional on them finishing their degree. Similarly we might make a conditional offer while we wait for someone to get their official transcripts released by the University (we will have already seen unofficial results but can process their offer while the University provides formal paperwork etc). Similarly if someone had sat MCAT and was close - say had a 22 - we might give them a conditional offer while we asked them to sit it again to get over 24. These kind of conditional offers happen regularly for us.

The rarer situation would be making a conditional offer for someone who has not yet sat MCAT at all - this is pretty uncommon in my experience (we have only ever done this once) and would need to be a very strong candidate who we were pretty confident would do very well at MCAT ... otherwise we could potentially be holding a spot for someone who may not otherwise be competitive and wasting everyones time. With MCAT being one of the major selection criteria it would be uncommon for a provisional offer with someone without a score in that section- in my opinion anyway.

As far as interview, portfolio and GPA - they are not negotiable for us. We will never make an offer to a candidate who did not submit a portfolio, who we did not interview or who did not meet GPA. It is only the MCAT that we may have a tiny bit of leeway around.

Hope that helps.

Reactions: 1 user