Do clinical volunteering hours count as clinical or as volunteering (trying to count my hours right now)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted1135735

Hi! The summer after I graduated high school, I spent 100 hours volunteering at a Title I (low-income) elementary school. Can this count for my AMCAS application volunteering hours?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm trying to count both the number of volunteering (community service) hours and the number of clinical hours I have. I so far have about 140 clinical volunteer hours. Which group (community service or clinical) should they go in?

Members don't see this ad :)
What advice from your SMP have you received on this question? Did you ever include this in your past applications?
I haven't asked the people from my SMP about it. I put it on my SMP application and was accepted to all 8 SMP's that I applied to. However, I'm curious if medical schools will count it? It's 100 hours so I think it is kind of a big deal.

I haven't asked the people from my SMP about it. I put it on my SMP application and was accepted to all 8 SMP's that I applied to. However, I'm curious if medical schools will count it? It's 100 hours so I think it is kind of a big deal.
You'd have to remind me what the rest of your work/activities on community service was.

You'd have to remind me what the rest of your work/activities on community service was.
So far:
Community service in college and post-college:
100 hours at city food bank
140 hours hospital volunteering (pediatric ED/pediatric inpatient)
75 hours Ronald McDonald House
65 hours Red Cross food pantry and blood donor center, volunteering 4+ hours per week here currently so this will definitely be 100+ hours by the time I apply this summer to med school
200 hours volunteering in elementary school during college

You have lots of hours but why are you including the hospital peds work under volunteering and not clinical experiences? Do you have lots of clinical experiences without this? And FYI in the past, teaching and tutoring were a sep category. Not sure if they still are but check it out.

You have lots of hours but why are you including the hospital peds work under volunteering and not clinical experiences? Do you have lots of clinical experiences without this? And FYI in the past, teaching and tutoring were a sep category. Not sure if they still are but check it out.
I feel that tutoring your peers in college may be put in a separate category, but wouldn't tutoring kids at an underprivileged elementary school still count for volunteering?

I have 1030 scribing hours and 40 shadowing hours for clinical. Not sure if I should include hospital volunteering as clinical or volunteering?

There are two categories of volunteering: clinical volunteering and non-clinical volunteering.
Tutoring is a separate category but tutoring in a Title I elementary school could be classified as non-clinical volunteering and might be a better fit in that category than in teaching/tutoring.
Paid employment is a separate category and, again, is divided IIRC into clinical and non-clinical.
Shadowing is a separate tag.
You don't need something in every category but you need at least one clinical experience (paid or volunteer) and ideally you should have at least one activity that was non-clinical volunteering.

Reactions: 1 user