do degree reapply to md

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

passthebiscuits

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
don't hate--just asking the question.
Has anybody ever earned the DO degree and reapplied to MD school? Would that person start at the third year again? Would an MD school even take him/her? Just curious what everyone thinks here?

Members don't see this ad.

Since they are equivalent it would be ridiculous to try to apply once you have earned the DO degree. I don't think any school would take you.

Some have successfully transferred from DO to MD for their 3rd year, but they were serious issues, mostly personal/family issues.

So honestly, I don't see it possible to earn a DO degree then reapply for MD. Anyone who did it or tries, I think would be the biggest douchebag. You are throwing a ton of money down the toilet for the same degree.
:thumbdown:

Then again, just my opinion :D

People have transferred DO to MD b/w 2nd and 3rd years. Aside from that, no, I haven't heard of anyone going back to get an MD.

I, for one, couldn't be paid to do it all over again. I'll make my success how I will. Roll with the punches. It's the way it goes.

Members don't see this ad :)
What would be the point...a DO can do exactly the same as an MD.

rotatores
USUHS 2006
M.D. in 16 days and counting.

passthebiscuits said:
Has anybody ever earned the DO degree and reapplied to MD school? Would that person start at the third year again? Would an MD school even take him/her? Just curious what everyone thinks here?

Here's my opinion. Anyone who would try to do this has serious hangups and obsessions with having an MD after their name. I think it would be a waste of time to want to go back to school or residency when you could be spending your time doing what you apparently came to school for: practicing medicine. I mean, what is your real goal in life if you want to go back and get an MD? If it's that important, I would advise you to buy a white coat, and have your name and the M.D. monogrammed on the coat.

That said, I've never heard of this happening, and if I were on an admissions committee, I would drop that person's application without a second thought. I take that back. I would get your hopes up and invite you for an interview, just to be able to ask you what the hell was going through your mind, and then drop your application. Actually, by trying to do this, I would think you would not only be sh*tting all over osteopathic medicine, but on medicine in general.

The person who would want to go for an MD after already having obtained the DO would seriously need to reassess their priorities and their seemingly conditional commitment to medicine.

passthebiscuits said:

Maybe if it could be shown that there were serious family issues, perhaps a transffer can occur, but for the most part - I feel that people who are doing this are more concerned about the initials behind their name. But I can also understand why some people would feel uneasy being a minority.

And it's not easy the going the other way either. I think someone who was in an MD program once tried to get into a DO program because of family issues and still could not transffer. Not sure why, but medical schools can be mean like that.

There's a school in the Carib where DOs can get an MD degree. Never heard of any other case where this was possible.

passthebiscuits said:

I think you should try this and see what happens.

Since DO confers an equivalent training, I can't imagine why any MD school would let you in. Either learn to live with DO after your name or drop it and go carribean.....

Those would be the most expensive two letters in the English alphabet, in my opinion. If you really want it that badly, don't bother applying DO. I get the gist that you don't have the numbers to straight-out get into MD school, so you're using DO as a stepping stone towards "being a REAL doctor". Grow up. PLEASE, oh PLEASE go Caribbean, because I don't want to end up as your supervising resident.

That would be silly. Once you finished D.O. you would be needed in the medical field. Then you would work, pure and simple. If I was an administrator of a hospital and somebody came to me with all of that nonsense I would not hire them.

Some joker made a similar post in the pre-DO forum, if memory serves. It came out in the end that the poster was accepted to a DO school, but thought that the MD degree was 'better.' This idea is a terrible waste of time, money, and schooling,

Members don't see this ad :)
As everyone has said, it is absolutely ridiculous to do nowadays. It's virtually as ridiculous as a MD trying to apply to a MD school because they "loved medical school so much and want to do it again" or want to have two MDs after their name or something (if that is even possible).

However, I have read about doctor with both a DO and a MD- but they got their degrees in the 1930s when things were much, much different however.

NYCOM currently offers a program to help foreign MDs who cannot practice medicine in the US for whatever reason where they can earn a DO after a few years, however.

Deleted

Last edited:
Even if this were an option (which I doubt), most people would choose residency over starting med school all over again.

To the OP - forgot to mention, are you the one considering going back to med school for your MD? Didn't you already match into your first-choice (allopathic) residency?

passthebiscuits said:

yeah i know someone that has.

Op here--
yeah, I did graduate, matched into my first choice ALLO residency.
I live in a state where there are almost NO D.O.s at all, and EVERYONE asks me what I am, a chiropractor or an eye doctor. No, I am not insecure about this, and I welcome the opportunity to tell them about it. However, I was merely curious if anyone had ever done it...like I said, don't hate, just asking the question to stir debate.

passthebiscuits said:
Op here--
I live in a state where there are almost NO D.O.s at all, and EVERYONE asks me what I am, a chiropractor or an eye doctor. No, I am not insecure about this, and I welcome the opportunity to tell them about it. However, I was merely curious if anyone had ever done it...like I said, don't hate, just asking the question to stir debate.

I am curious as to what state you are referring to.

D.O.Spot said:
I say do whatever you want. I mean if you went to a start-up DO school and barely got by the comlex after multiple times and the school turned out to not be reputable...well then what the hell, if you're up for that beast again. I look at it that you would retain that much more information, and have that much more experience. Sure it's going to make you look VERY INSECURE, but if you have a good reason and aren't just doing it for the letters, then go for it. And there is a Car. school (UHSA) that will sell an MD to pretty much any healthcare worker who will take their internet class.

I went to the UHSA website and didn't see where they offer MDs via 100% online classes. Could you provide a link?

passthebiscuits said:
Op here--
Dude, explain what you are to these people who ask, and move on. What's the big deal. How many times during medical school do many women have to explain that no, they are NOT going for their NURSING DEGREES. Seriously. :smuggrin:

Yes, I know of a DO student transferring to our state MD school after MS1. It was for family reasons and he had to start to our MD school as a MS1 all over again. He attended KCUMB--actually, the school I am going to attend. This student was also from my same undergrad institution.

getting an MD after you got your DO is like getting a BA in Biology after you already got your BS in Bio. it makes no sense.

passthebiscuits said:
I'm assuming that you are asking this for yourself. DO schools are good at deciphering whether you want to go to their school or not. They've been doing it for years. Please have a vested interest in osteopathic medicine if you plan to apply to DO schools.

NonTradMed said:
Since DO confers an equivalent training, I can't imagine why any MD school would let you in. Either learn to live with DO after your name or drop it and go carribean.....

Hi there,
This is actually true. If you have earned a medical degree, then you are not likely to be admitted to repeat medical school again. Exceptions to this might be an FMG who wanted to earn a medical degree in this country but if you have attended medical school in this country, you are likely not going to be granted admission just to change the letters behind your name.

There are some carribean diploma mills that will allow you to do anything for the momey and thus you can buy an MD degree. If I walked into the office of a person displaying a foreign MD degree certificate along side their diploma from osteopathic medical school, I would walk out. Shows very poor judgement.

You can do anything in medicine as a DO that you can do as an MD. While the reverse is not true (MD grads cannot do DO residencies), the degrees are equivalent.

njbmd :)

Op here--

i tell you what....i'll trade spots with you. i would give anythinbg to get where you are...why care how you got there?? you are there....that is something most of us on this board would give our right arm for.

Here's my opinion. Anyone who would try to do this has serious hangups and obsessions with having an MD after their name. I think it would be a waste of time to want to go back to school or residency when you could be spending your time doing what you apparently came to school for: practicing medicine. I mean, what is your real goal in life if you want to go back and get an MD? If it's that important, I would advise you to buy a white coat, and have your name and the M.D. monogrammed on the coat.

That said, I've never heard of this happening, and if I were on an admissions committee, I would drop that person's application without a second thought. I take that back. I would get your hopes up and invite you for an interview, just to be able to ask you what the hell was going through your mind, and then drop your application. Actually, by trying to do this, I would think you would not only be sh*tting all over osteopathic medicine, but on medicine in general.

The person who would want to go for an MD after already having obtained the DO would seriously need to reassess their priorities and their seemingly conditional commitment to medicine.

Hilarious