Do dental schools favor female applicants?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

andj04

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
It's not that I'm worried about being admitted; I actually have decent stats. Im just curious if as a woman I will have any advantage in the application process because of affirmative action. The dental profession is a traditionally male dominated one, would adcoms favor women even "unofficially"?

Members don't see this ad.

The D1's at UT-memphis this august will be 45 female and 35 males out of a class of 80.
My class has 35 female and 45 male, so i think it's safe to assume that they're giving preference to females. Of course maybe just a ton more females are applying.

I can't say for other schools though.

Next year's AZ class is almost 60% female. :D

Members don't see this ad :)
60%? That does seem high...

Only if you pass the elbow test

tx oms said:
Only if you pass the elbow test
I'll bite. What's the elbow test?

drat said:
I'll bite. What's the elbow test?
Bend you arms so that your elbows are pointing straight in front of you and your hands are on your shoulder. Walk into a wall. If your arms are the first thing to hit the wall, you fail.

i have an unique observation. females are actually smarter!
for the last couple years, at ucla, we have more females than males. and our incoming student stats is remarkable. comparing with ucsf, which is about 50-50, and completely based on statistics, ucla's stats is higher. so does it mean females are smarter, so they are favored?

<------ failure

ecdoesit said:
i have an unique observation. females are actually smarter!
for the last couple years, at ucla, we have more females than males. and our incoming student stats is remarkable. comparing with ucsf, which is about 50-50, and completely based on statistics, ucla's stats is higher. so does it mean females are smarter, so they are favored?

Yeah...sure...A 3.5-3.7 in English means you're smart?

Of course females are favored. They, by definition, have the one trump card that males want.

toofache32 said:
Of course females are favored. They, by definition, have the one trump card that males want.

speaking of which, what happened to your previous picture? Everytime I saw a response from you, I had to check it out :laugh:

I'm not sure what Pacific's class will be like this year, but I know from my interviews that boys were typically in the minority. At my NOVA interview, there were 5 girls and then me. At Maryland, there were 6 girls and 4 boys. At UNC, it was about 50/50. At my Pacific interivew, it was 50/50. So, I think there are just a ton of girl applicants. Which in the long run, is fine by me.

as a side note, let me say i like the upward trend in female admissions, even though i'm a male. :thumbup:

there are a few reasons why.

1) classmates + women = :love:
2) statistics show that many women will take time off, sometimes many, many years, to raise their children. this means fewer practicing dentists, which means more patients for me... which means more money for me. :thumbup: :D

organichemistry said:
1) classmates + women = :love:

To clarify that statement ... classmates + women = trouble

don't dip your pen in the company ink, it never works out like you expect

nothen2do said:
speaking of which, what happened to your previous picture? Everytime I saw a response from you, I had to check it out :laugh:
Apparently, some folks were offended of my beautiful picture of some girl slingin' her dinners around for us all to marvel at. I was asked by the moderators to change it and so I did. I have some other ones I may post later, but I have to wait until I'm liquor'd up enough one night to post it.