DO Friendly ACGME Ophthalmology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DopaDO

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone, I'm a 3rd year DO student who is very interested in ophthalmology. I was wondering if anyone had a list of DO friendly programs. If you matched or applied, telling where you were invited to interview would be extremely helpful as well. Thanks for any and all help.

Members don't see this ad.

Anyone have any insight? I'd greatly appreciate it.

Generally, I think it's pretty hard to match as a DO to a ACGME spot. WVU and Geisinger each have one DO I know. I know Med C Georgia interviewed one DO at least. I'm sure there are more, but that's what I know.

Members don't see this ad :)
My friend matched to Cornell....it's my understand you have to be extra competitive as a DO.

Every year it seems like some ACGME program that hasn't taken a DO in the past takes one. No ACGME program takes them regularly...there are enough competitive applicants on the MD side that they dont NEED anymore. Your best bet is usually the lower/middle tier programs or programs in less desirable locations. When scheduling away rotations, dont be afraid to ask the PD if they would consider a DO or if they have taken one in the past, you can gauge where they stand.

Just because a program has a DO in the program now doesnt mean they will take another. One thing is for sure, you would need to rotate at the place and/or have some kind of personal relationship, best achieved through research.

Do as many away rotations as you can to increase your chances. Most applicants on the MD side will only do a couple.

PM me if you have specific q's. I'm a DO at an ACGME program.

Reactions: 1 user