DO General Surgery residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rebecca120288

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
3rd year medical student wanting to go into general surgery
comlex 1: 526
top 25% of my class
have had two elected positions.
no research other than undergrad stuff
Location is not a factor in my deicsion. Honestly I will go to any site that will take me.
What programs should I not even look at that have 600+ requirements? Ive heard Doctors in columbus does but didnt know anywhere else that I shouldnt apply to.
also any insight from current residents at programs or anyone who has rotated through could pm me about your expereince there. Anything would be greatly apprecaited.

Thank you ahead of time!

Members don't see this ad.

3rd year medical student wanting to go into general surgery
comlex 1: 526
top 25% of my class
have had two elected positions.
no research other than undergrad stuff
Location is not a factor in my deicsion. Honestly I will go to any site that will take me.
What programs should I not even look at that have 600+ requirements? Ive heard Doctors in columbus does but didnt know anywhere else that I shouldnt apply to.
also any insight from current residents at programs or anyone who has rotated through could pm me about your expereince there. Anything would be greatly apprecaited.

Thank you ahead of time!

OMS IV going through interviews right now for gen surg. My #1 advice (aside for doing as best you can on Level 1/2, which is obvious and can't be changed after the fact) is to try and get involved with research / publications. I've found that some of the better AOA programs are finally catching up with ACGME programs and placing stronger emphasis on research. Going to be especially important as things progress with merger. This will definitely make your application stronger and is something you easily can, and should, pursue during your third year. PM me with any questions.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user