Do I "count" as an URM?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vanasme

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
My dad was adopted, but is half Oneida. Because he never felt like he identified with his adopted family, he always considered himself Native America. My Native American background was always very important to my dad and we went to many different "events" in my area that were specifically for people of native american heritage. When I was younger, I was always told people that I was part Native American and was very proud of this fact. As I got grew-up, however, I simply identified myself as "white." This was not due to any major change, I just simply thought I looked more white than Native American. I have very dark brown/black hair, but I have pale skin and blue eyes from my mom. I didn't want people to question what I said about my ethnicity so I just wrote white/Caucasian on everything.

Now that I've gotten older, I've began to identify with my Native American heritage a lot more. I've "rejoined" the community and attended many local events (mostly pow-wows).

So what does this mean for my AMCAS application? Would it be ok for me to identify myself as Native American? I definitely enjoy and appreciate the culture, but I'm worried that they're not going to "believe" me. First, I'm only 1/4 Native American. Plus, I don't have any sort of proof that I'm Native American. My dad never got a card identifying himself as Native American, but his adoption papers state that he is half Oneida (it was a fairly open adoption). Also, other than the dark hair, I essentially look like any other white person.

I guess I'm just nervous that my interviewer would consider me a "fraud" and discredit my application or think that I took the "easy" way out by applying as an URM.

What does everyone think?

I wouldn't think of it as taking the easy way out by applying as an URM. You are what you are and it defines you as a person (cultural roots, religion, etc.). If you are Native American and you identify with the culture and take pride in and part in its events and heritage then I would say you should apply as what you consider yourself to be. I would say though that you should get sufficient paper work (tribal card) to verify it if this is the case because it may look shady if you claim to be Native American and you don't have any verifiable proof.

My dad was adopted, but is half Oneida. Because he never felt like he identified with his adopted family, he always considered himself Native America. My Native American background was always very important to my dad and we went to many different "events" in my area that were specifically for people of native american heritage. When I was younger, I was always told people that I was part Native American and was very proud of this fact. As I got grew-up, however, I simply identified myself as "white." This was not due to any major change, I just simply thought I looked more white than Native American. I have very dark brown/black hair, but I have pale skin and blue eyes from my mom. I didn't want people to question what I said about my ethnicity so I just wrote white/Caucasian on everything.

Now that I've gotten older, I've began to identify with my Native American heritage a lot more. I've "rejoined" the community and attended many local events (mostly pow-wows).

So what does this mean for my AMCAS application? Would it be ok for me to identify myself as Native American? I definitely enjoy and appreciate the culture, but I'm worried that they're not going to "believe" me. First, I'm only 1/4 Native American. Plus, I don't have any sort of proof that I'm Native American. My dad never got a card identifying himself as Native American, but his adoption papers state that he is half Oneida (it was a fairly open adoption). Also, other than the dark hair, I essentially look like any other white person.

I guess I'm just nervous that my interviewer would consider me a "fraud" and discredit my application or think that I took the "easy" way out by applying as an URM.

I think if you have to ask you might've answered your own question...BUT if you TRULY identify with that (and that's obviously a part of your ethnicity regardless of what you look like) then it shouldn't matter if you look "Native American-enough". It's not always readily apparent what ethnicity people are...now if you were trying to claim to be like 1/32nd Native American that's a different thing. I don't think it's a bad idea to get a tribal card either though if you do decide to apply URM...

Members don't see this ad :)
I think that decision is up to you and as long as you are comfortable with it than you should be OK. If you don't wholeheartedly identify as the URM you're representing however, you might want to think twice. Regardless, this might be your first opportunity to identify your ethnicity. It is common for children to reconnect with their roots later on. It's nothing to be ashamed of.

Sounds legit to me.

I agree the tribal card is a good idea.

very true...some schools like howard ask that you attach proof of tribal affiliation if you decide to check "native american"

I think you qualify. As others have said, getting that tribal card would help with verification stipulations that schools like Meharry and Howard are going to probably need.

You are who you are. :D