Do I even have a chance for residency?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jkminz

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a P3 attending UIC COP. I'm mostly interested in pursuing a residency in ambulatory care. My current GPA is 3.75 but the BIGGEST factor that does not make me a great candidate is work experience. I do not have any PAID work experience. So far I have done:
- Volunteer work at various events/fairs
- Teach diabetes classes at a community clinic in Spanish
- Facilitator/leader of Spanish workshops from SNPhA, IPSF
- Undergrad research experience
- Diabetes presentation to high school students for UIC pipeline program
- Volunteer as pharm tech at a community clinic
- Hospital summer internship at the oncology clinic
- Plus IPPEs.......

I mean these are all the activities I have done so far. I've tried volunteering as much as possible and especially tried to use my language skills consistently (I fluently speak Korean, Spanish, and English - do these skills help?). I chose mostly difficult rotations that will push me to work harder but as of now I don't feel confident that I will get a residency in the future.. What do you all think?

Members don't see this ad.

Yes, you have a good chance. Work experience is beneficial and a lot of places love to see students that have worked especially in a hospital setting, but they look at other things.

I think you'd make a good candidate since you have done a lot of activities, volunteering, and fluent in multiple languages. Relax. Apply broadly (not all big name academic medical centers), and you'll be fine.

I'm a P3 attending UIC COP. I'm mostly interested in pursuing a residency in ambulatory care. My current GPA is 3.75 but the BIGGEST factor that does not make me a great candidate is work experience. I do not have any PAID work experience. So far I have done:
- Volunteer work at various events/fairs
- Teach diabetes classes at a community clinic in Spanish
- Facilitator/leader of Spanish workshops from SNPhA, IPSF
- Undergrad research experience
- Diabetes presentation to high school students for UIC pipeline program
- Volunteer as pharm tech at a community clinic
- Hospital summer internship at the oncology clinic
- Plus IPPEs.......

I mean these are all the activities I have done so far. I've tried volunteering as much as possible and especially tried to use my language skills consistently (I fluently speak Korean, Spanish, and English - do these skills help?). I chose mostly difficult rotations that will push me to work harder but as of now I don't feel confident that I will get a residency in the future.. What do you all think?

I don't think it matters this guy at my school had never had a job in his life and he wasn't Rho Chi and got a residency. Some of the Rho Chi people that had everything possible on their resume didn't get one - anything's possible.

Reactions: 1 user