Do I have a chance at a prestigious university even though I don't go to one?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kaygoldwater

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
There are professors at both Harvard and Yale that I really want to work with in both Clinical Psychology and Neuroscience. However, from what I've seen, Ivy League Universities usually only accept people with Bachelors Degrees from prestigious universities.
I started my undergraduate degree at a women's college in Virginia, and transferred to Virginia Commonwealth University during my junior year. I am currently in the Honors College at VCU, and will be graduating Summa Cum Laude (or Magna Cum Laude depending on how the semester spans out) after this upcoming fall semester. I have one publication, and research experience at my current university. However, I know that VCU is not a terribly prestigious university. Will this work against me? Is there anything else I should do before applying?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Why is it so important for you to attend an Ivy League university. Serious question. What are your career goals in the field of psychology? I think most of the 'big-name' researchers and clinicians in the field graduated from 'plain ole' state universities and the like. Much more important than where you went to school is your work ethic, drive, associations with others who are doing excellent clinical/research work in your area of interest.

Reactions: 1 users
I agree with advice to not just focus on Ivies, but Harvard and Yale do have some good faculty. I looked at both pretty seriously and am now at a state school, with an advisor who went to an Ivy.

I would look at the faculty you want to work with, their grad students (current and past) and collaborators. Does everyone have a "pedigree"? Or do they have a mix of educational backgrounds? Some people at schools like that care a lot and some do not take it into consideration at all.

Members don't see this ad :)
The handful of people I know with grad degrees from Ivies, do not have undergrad degrees from Ivies. If someone's application and background are good enough, and there is a fit, a program will take someone from many non-Ivy places.

An Ivy will accept you based on your abilities, not your undergraduate institution

First of all, there is nothing in the least wrong with VCU. I received my BA, MA and PhD from state schools that have no immediate "curb appeal," but I am now a tenured full professor at a major private university medical school (non-Ivy, but has instant name recognition and, to put it bluntly, an entirely deserved "Oh!" factor) and I have LOTS of Ivy grads that report to me. (Sidebar: Those Ivy grads are so bright, articulate and willing to work for next-to-nothing just to be in NYC!) Do yourself a favor and move beyond the "Ivy brand" ideation and figure out what you need to meet your short-term, intermediate, and long-term career goals.

Reactions: 1 user
I agree with oracle. I spent several years researching in a similar environment to oracle and when we partnered with certain ivies, the quality of their scholarship was poor and they cut a ton of corners basically just because they could. An ivy doesn't guarantee fit, productivity and the highest degree of scholarship and professionalism.