Do I have a chance? Non traditional

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ohyou98

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I’m an international student. I’ve applied to medical schools 1-2 years ago but withdrew my applications because I had no way of funding the education and I’m not eligible for big loans because of my status. I graduated from a UC in 2020 with 3.54 with a double major in neuroscience and anthropology. I have 3 years of work experience (1.5 years as a medical assistant and 1.5 as a clinical research assistant). I also have 3 years of bench research in undergrad that resulted in 2 journal publications. Bunch of other extracurricular activities that include teaching and mentoring. I’m also learning data science and completing a bootcamp. I’m now headed to Harvard to complete my masters degree in epidemiology (environmental health specialization). I’ve always been drawn to research but I honestly was doubting my skill set and intelligence to even apply to MD/PhD. I love to learn and would love to continue research in epidemiology or environmental health. By the time I graduate with my masters degree, I’ll be 28. I honestly feel old. I’m lowkey scared of being the older person in a cohort. My bf and I are planning to get married in a near future as well and even though he’s supportive of my dreams, I’m scared of moving around so much and not settling down and having a family (we do want it). Oh, I should also mention that my MCAT score was 508 (128/124/127/129 - I think. I hate CARS). Do I have a chance of getting in to a decent program with my background? I will have to retake the MCAT. Another thing worth mentioning is that an advisor at Harvard told me that if I wanted to get a PhD after my masters, I could technically take PhD required classes during my masters and if I get in (which apparently sometimes 50% of incoming PhD cohort are previous Harvard students), I could complete my PhD in less than 4 years. I feel like I could have a higher chance of getting in if I went for only PhD route after my masters but I also would love to pursue medicine and if I can do it for free, I’d rather do that. Sorry, it’s a lot, but I appreciate you guys reading and pitching in!

Members don't see this ad.

By the time I graduate with my masters degree, I’ll be 28. I honestly feel old. I’m lowkey scared of being the older person in a cohort.
Going for MD/PhD adds another 7+ years of training and you will be older among your resident peers. You might be as old as your postdoc peers. But the concept of age doesn't really matter (though you want to start a family so you need to adjust there).

Check out

I'm not sure you're the best MD/PhD candidate. I feel that you could carry on your research interests with just an MD alone, or just a PhD for that matter depending on your trajectory.

In general, MD/PhD programs are likely more competitive than MD alone. We should never say 'never' or never say 'always' in cases like this, but the combination of your GPA and MCAT are not setting yourself up as a successful MD/PhD candidate. Depending on what you do with your time at your Masters program, you could have the research background these programs expect, but again, as an international student with that GPA, it will surely be a very uphill climb.

I'm guessing you are trying to apply to MD PhD because you can't pay for MD and don't have a greencard.

If your boyfriend truly is "supportive", you should get married immediately such that you can have a greencard. Retake MCAT. Difficult to remediate your undergrad GPA, but perhaps retake a postbacc class or two that you didn't do well in during undergrad.

Then reapply to med school June of 2025. That's a more feasible scenario.

MD PhD is a waste of time, and you don't have time to waste.