MD & DO Do I have a chance?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Raktertookwan

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

Long time lurker here. I think it's about time I make this thread and seek out some needed advice regarding my app. Thank you!

About me:
Ethn: Laos
Institution: State Uni
Resident: MA
CGPA: 3.51
SGPA: 3.38
MCAT: 511
*Both GPA has not been verified by MD or DO App.
Major: Bio

Experience: Gonna make this kinda vague for anon purposes.
5 years of ER tech / EMT experience
2 years of research with possibly 2 publications with 3 NIH funded grants
3 years of various volunteering experience in community, health care related branches and non-medical community relating to Laos community.
MD shadowing. Unfortunately, I don't have any DO shadowing because no one agreed to let me shadow them :(

I'm open to MD / DO programs. I just want to be a doctor. It does not matter to me where I end up. my biggest worry is my GPA.
Another thing to add is that my grades aren't the best. I have a couple of C's that I'm not proud of. But I have a huge upward trend.
Any advice regarding the school list is greatly appreciated. I'm looking to condense the list a bit, because I feel like this a lot of school. Thank you!

I used the MSAR and basically picked schools that were within my stats range.

UMASS
BU
Tufts
Brown
Albany
NYMC
Rosalind Franklin
Drexel
EVMS
Quinnipiac
Loyola
Meharry
Rush
Thomas Jeff
Temple
Tulane
University of Minnesota
University of Wisconsin

DO:
UNE
LECOM
NOVA
AZCOM
Touro -NYC
Touro - Middletown
DMU
NYIT
PCOM
Rowan

Members don't see this ad.

I suggest:

UMASS
U VM
VCU
BU
Tufts
Albany
NYMC
Rosalind Franklin
Drexel
EVMS
Quinnipiac
Loyola
Rush
Thomas Jeff
Temple
Tulane
Western MI
Oakland-B
Gtown
GWU
Creighton

DO: You're fine for any DO school that doesn't require a DO LOR. If you're in driving distance of either Touro-Middletown, or UNECOM go visit and chat up the DO faculty.

I suggest:

DO: You're fine for any DO school that doesn't require a DO LOR. If you're in driving distance of either Touro-Middletown, or UNECOM go visit and chat up the DO faculty.

Thank you, Goro. Would it be wise if I called all the DO schools of my interest and asked if they require a DO letter if they don't specifically state it on their site? I'm about 4 hours away give or take from both schools. I plan on going to UNE's open hours at some point.

Members don't see this ad :)
To answer your question about 50-60% of people in previous years with your stats were able to find an MD school. So yes, you do have a "chance". There are obviously tons of confounding factors, but the fact you have an upward trend helps your cause and can make that number at least a somewhat decent approximation in terms of how people similar to you did in the past.

The more realistic schools you apply to, the better your chances. It's quite simple, especially since you only have one state school and your stats are below their 3.75/33 median. If money is an issue or there are other reasons you can't apply to this many schools, here's how I would look at this in terms of cutting your list down.

Boston U has 3.8/35 median stats. Combined with a 3.5/3.4, even if you are from that region will be tough. Might be worth an application but if you are looking to drop schools, that's a good option.
Brown takes 60% of their class from Brown UG's. Your stats are definitely below their median as well. Scratch.
Meharry: Do you really think you fit the mission here? Unless there's a really good answer to suggest yes, scratch.
Minnesota: 80% IS. Your stats aren't good enough to be amongst that other 20%. Scratch
Wisconsin: Ditto. Your stats are most likely not good enough for OOS.

Your DO list is mostly fine. Maybe instead of 10, you can get away with cutting it to say 7, particularly if you can drive to a DO school and chat with their faculty like Goro suggested. That is 8 schools right there you can cut out. That leaves 20 schools total including DO and 13 MD's. Ideally, it would be better given your borderline stats to apply to more MD's. But if you can't then I think the 13 I didn't mention you listed are fine. If you want to cut anymore, Drexel, Rosalind and maybe Rush will be the lowest yield out of what you listed.

If you only want to add a few more schools from Goro's list(and I would suggest as many as possible): Oakland and Creighton are two I would definitely recommend. I would also give consideration to Penn State which Goro didn't list and perhaps WVU as well.

To answer your question about 50-60% of people in previous years with your stats were able to find an MD school. So yes, you do have a "chance". There are obviously tons of confounding factors, but the fact you have an upward trend helps your cause and can make that number at least a somewhat decent approximation in terms of how people similar to you did in the past.

The more realistic schools you apply to, the better your chances. It's quite simple, especially since you only have one state school and your stats are below their 3.75/33 median. If money is an issue or there are other reasons you can't apply to this many schools, here's how I would look at this in terms of cutting your list down.

Boston U has 3.8/35 median stats. Combined with a 3.5/3.4, even if you are from that region will be tough. Might be worth an application but if you are looking to drop schools, that's a good option.
Brown takes 60% of their class from Brown UG's. Your stats are definitely below their median as well. Scratch.
Meharry: Do you really think you fit the mission here? Unless there's a really good answer to suggest yes, scratch.
Minnesota: 80% IS. Your stats aren't good enough to be amongst that other 20%. Scratch
Wisconsin: Ditto. Your stats are most likely not good enough for OOS.

Your DO list is mostly fine. Maybe instead of 10, you can get away with cutting it to say 7, particularly if you can drive to a DO school and chat with their faculty like Goro suggested. That is 8 schools right there you can cut out. That leaves 20 schools total including DO and 13 MD's. Ideally, it would be better given your borderline stats to apply to more MD's. But if you can't then I think the 13 I didn't mention you listed are fine. If you want to cut anymore, Drexel, Rosalind and maybe Rush will be the lowest yield out of what you listed.

If you only want to add a few more schools from Goro's list(and I would suggest as many as possible): Oakland and Creighton are two I would definitely recommend. I would also give consideration to Penn State which Goro didn't list and perhaps WVU as well.

Thanks for the suggestion. I'm looking into hopefully 20 schools, 10 MD 10 DO, but if I need more to increase my chances I'll definitely invest. I only added UofMin and UofWis is because I have a family friend who's son goes there and got in with similar stats to mine. I really do hope UMASS shows some love.

It will be on their websites.

Thank you, Goro. Would it be wise if I called all the DO schools of my interest and asked if they require a DO letter if they don't specifically state it on their site? I'm about 4 hours away give or take from both schools. I plan on going to UNE's open hours at some point.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm wondering maybe it would be a better idea to just invest my entire app on DO schools and forget about MD all together. If my stats are more align with DO schools, why not go toward that route where I have the highest chance of getting into one of the schools. But I'm definitely going to have to find a DO who will let me shadow and write me a letter.

I'm wondering maybe it would be a better idea to just invest my entire app on DO schools and forget about MD all together. If my stats are more align with DO schools, why not go toward that route where I have the highest chance of getting into one of the schools. But I'm definitely going to have to find a DO who will let me shadow and write me a letter.

You don't need 20 DO schools to get into one with your stats. 8-10 if you can interview decently should be enough.

But if you find yourself liking the DO philosophy better or have other reasons why you like the DO path than then MD path, by all means absolutely pursue the DO path.

You don't need 20 DO schools to get into one with your stats. 8-10 if you can interview decently should be enough.

But if you find yourself liking the DO philosophy better or have other reasons why you like the DO path than then MD path, by all means absolutely pursue the DO path.

I can't genuinely say I like the DO path a lot more than MD. I'm just at that point in my life where I really want to be a doctor and willing to go anywhere other than Caribbean. I just figured why not invest in DO application all the way if I have the highest probability of getting acceptance from one of the schools. I'd love to go to MD schools, but I'm also realistic. I'm probably gonna need a day or two and play around with the list you and Goro gave me.

There's also a list of all the DO schools with information on each on the AACOMAs website somewhere. It explicitly states whether they require DO letters. I can't upload it here because the file is too big, but if you can't find it on the website feel free to PM me and we can figure out a way to get it to you.

I'd suggest applying to 25 MD schools and 8 DO schools if you want the best shot of getting MD. Otherwise, 10 and 10 is fine.

I've heard the schools in California give huge preference to people who are from southeast Asia if you speak Cambodian or Hmong, even if you're out of state. I think @gyngyn could clarify that though

I've heard the schools in California give huge preference to people who are from southeast Asia if you speak Cambodian or Hmong, even if you're out of state. I think @gyngyn could clarify that though
Cambodians and Hmong are often given special consideration in CA.

Reactions: 1 user
There's also a list of all the DO schools with information on each on the AACOMAs website somewhere. It explicitly states whether they require DO letters. I can't upload it here because the file is too big, but if you can't find it on the website feel free to PM me and we can figure out a way to get it to you.

Thanks, will definitely look into it.

Unfortunately I'm not Cambodian or Hmong :(

My bad! My southeast asian geography skills aren't what they used to be

If you have the money I think applying to both MD and DO is the best chance of acceptance. Honestly as long as you can string sentences together in an interview I would be surprised if you didn't get into a DO school. Above a poster said that with your stats and situation there is about a 50-60 percent chance of getting into MD. That is definitely enough of a chance to throw some MD apps out there. You will never know unless you try. I also agree with the 25 MD and 8-10 DO ratio that was stated above! Good luck!

@gyngyn I am Hmong myself but why do you think or why is that Cambodians and Hmong are given special considerations?
The communities from which they come have serious health disparities, language and and cultural barriers as well as extreme under-representation in the physician workforce.

Reactions: 1 users