Do I Have a Competitive Application?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

space whale

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone, I'm new to the forums here so please bear with me if this question has been done to death already.

A bit of background info: I'm a current undergrad at UC Davis and have completed most of the prerequisite courses at this point with no grades below a B (A's in O.Chem, physics, Gen. Chem, Bio, and all my animal science courses). I've interned for three years at two separate small animal vet clinics and I have extensive animal experience (non-veterinary) with large animals. I have at least 500 hours of experience (including both vet- approx 300 hrs- and regular animal experience).

I've taken the GRE twice already; my highest scores (not from the same test day) are 87% vbl, 61% quantit, and 93% analytical.

My cumulative gpa is 3.76 and my sci gpa is likely slightly lower (approx 3.6).

I'm getting ready to apply to Western, Washington, Oregon State, Colorado, and Davis c/o 2019. I've heard that competitive gre scores are in the range of 70%, I'm worried that my slightly low quant is going to bring me down.

My question is, do my current gpa and gre scores make me a competitive applicant? Any advice would be greatly appreciated :)

Members don't see this ad.