Do I have a shot at DO schools with a 500 MCAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DReamer24

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I took the MCAT July 31st and received a 500 (126/123/126/125). I'm planning on applying this cycle only to DO schools due to my very low score. I have a cGPA of 3.5 and sGPA of 3.3. My resume is decked out with hundreds of clinical and nonclinical hours.

With a 500 MCAT and a 3.5 GPA, do I have a chance at DO schools?

Members don't see this ad.

Yes, you do. However, since you are unbalanced with the CARS section score then I would primarily hedge my bets on the newest DO schools. That doesn’t mean only apply to them, please apply to as many DO schools as you can. However, I think your chances are best at the newest schools.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
You could receive interviews at these DO schools with your stats:
VCOM (all 4 schools)
CUSOM
UIWSOM
ACOM
ARCOM
NYIT-AR
UP-KYCOM
WVSOM
MU-COM
ATSU-SOMA
WCU-COM
TUNCOM
PCOM (all schools)
LECOM (all schools)

Reactions: 4 users
500 Will do you fine. And the poster who said to focus your time on newer school is wrong. You don't need to feel like you need to limit yourself. Pick the schools that will fit you best as a person and apply to them. I can guarantee you won't get into AZCOM though since they only interview those with >506. The list of school in the previous post is a great place to start.

Reactions: 1 user
I took the MCAT July 31st and received a 500 (126/123/126/125). I'm planning on applying this cycle only to DO schools due to my very low score. I have a cGPA of 3.5 and sGPA of 3.3. My resume is decked out with hundreds of clinical and nonclinical hours.

Absolutely! Skip the Touros, CCOM and AZCOM, and the schools on my Bad Boy list.

Santa Papa, which schools are on your Bad Boy list?
I can't recommend Nova, Wm Carey, BCOM, ICOM and LUCOM, for different reasons. MSUCOM? Read up on Larry Nasser and you decide. LMU has an accreditation warning, which concerns me. CUHS is too new and appears to be too limited in rotations sites. UIW refuses to post their Boards scores, which is fishy.

Reactions: 1 users
CUSOM might screen you out with the 123 which is < 40th percentile needed pre-secondary. Of course, do your own research as well! Best of luck

CUSOM might screen you out with the 123 which is < 40th percentile needed pre-secondary. Of course, do your own research as well! Best of luck
Probably not, I got 123 in CARS last cycle, still got II from CUSOM not too long after submitting secondary. I would be more concerned about the 500 overall score, just read an article stating that medical school applicants increased drastically this cycle, about 17% increase on DO side if I recall correctly.

Probably not, I got 123 in CARS last cycle, still got II from CUSOM not too long after submitting secondary. I would be more concerned about the 500 overall score, just read an article stating that medical school applicants increased drastically this cycle, about 17% increase on DO side if I recall correctly.

You must've had something they liked. Might be you were an exception to the rule. That being said, you miss 100% of the shots you don't take. Feel free to apply OP.

IJYyUKw.png

Yes you do have a chance at them.

I can't recommend Nova, Wm Carey, BCOM, ICOM and LUCOM, for different reasons. MSUCOM? Read up on Larry Nasser and you decide. LMU has an accreditation warning, which concerns me. CUHS is too new and appears to be too limited in rotations sites. UIW refuses to post their Boards scores, which is fishy.
What's the issue with BCOM & ICOM? Also, does CUHS stand for California Health Sciences University COM (Clovis, CA)?

What's the issue with BCOM & ICOM? Also, does CUHS stand for California Health Sciences University COM (Clovis, CA)?
Yes for CUHS.

BCOM: COMLEX pass rates are a disaster, even for a new school. In my own school's experience, people who fail the exam will almost always pass the second time around. Yet some 9% of BCOM's second class still couldn't pass on the second try. These are people who are now far less likely to ever become doctors. Their inaugural Class of 2020 has had a 25% attrition rate (160 down to ~120).

Also this: granted Accreditation with Heightened Monitoring. This indicates that fewer than three standards are non-compliant and ongoing monitoring will occur via progress reporting. For schools with this status, accreditation will be granted for four years. This is only one of three COMs that has this level of accreditation status right now.

Accreditation decisions for colleges of osteopathic medicine - American Osteopathic Association

ICOM: Not recommended due to the apparent dishonesty they had in setting up their school that poisoned the relations with hospitals in Idaho and/or the Idaho Medical Association. In addition, most of their rotation sites are very far away from the school. This raises the risk that the rotations are not adequately supervised and preceptors are not fully trained in teaching.

• Love
Reactions: 2 users