Do I have a shot?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mgeagle

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Bottom line, I want to go to OT school and I am from Texas but I am willing to go anywhere!! here are my stats.........
Major: Kinesiology
Overall: 3.38- would be higher but Biology I and II was tough for me and I got B in lectures but Cs in the labs.
Pre-req: 3.45-3.69 depending on the school, Bs in Anatomy across the board lab and lecture, As in most psyc courses except developmental which was a B, A in stats and english and Sociology and a B in medterm
Science GPA: 3.5
Extracurricular- Student-athlete with numerous NCAA academic and athletic awards, seasonal volunteer at a local intermediate school and over 200 hrs of observation spilt up into 3 settings, a SNF, inpatient, and outpatient I did not apply TWU cause my GPA is terrible compared to their norm, but from the looks of it it looks I will not be getting in to any schools in Texas cause I have heard they all are 3.5 overall and prereq or bust. Could someone shed some light? What about other schools? I plan to apply to seven but with that low prereq and overall gpa should I save myself the money and wait until next year? And I do not mind constructive criticism or insults just be honest, thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Bottom line, I want to go to OT school and I am from Texas but I am willing to go anywhere!! here are my stats.........
Major: Kinesiology
Overall: 3.38- would be higher but Biology I and II was tough for me and I got B in lectures but Cs in the labs.
Pre-req: 3.45-3.69 depending on the school, Bs in Anatomy across the board lab and lecture, As in most psyc courses except developmental which was a B, A in stats and english and Sociology and a B in medterm
Science GPA: 3.5
Extracurricular- Student-athlete with numerous NCAA academic and athletic awards, seasonal volunteer at a local intermediate school and over 200 hrs of observation spilt up into 3 settings, a SNF, inpatient, and outpatient I did not apply TWU cause my GPA is terrible compared to their norm, but from the looks of it it looks I will not be getting in to any schools in Texas cause I have heard they all are 3.5 overall and prereq or bust. Could someone shed some light? What about other schools? I plan to apply to seven but with that low prereq and overall gpa should I save myself the money and wait until next year? And I do not mind constructive criticism or insults just be honest, thanks!
Ohh and one more thing I am applying super early and have already turned in and finished 3 apps so I can try to show that I am serious and proactive.

What does your last 60 GPA look like? If it's around 3.5, I'd say you still have a shot of being accepted somewhere in Texas.

Go lurk in last year's threads and look at the stats of those that have been accepted. I've heard UTMB takes a more holistic approach with applications, so that may be a program to look at. I know there are also several programs outside of the state that you would be competitive for, but you should also consider how much debt you want to accumulate. Do you have a strong preference for certain schools or do you just want to be accepted into a program?

Members don't see this ad :)
What does your last 60 GPA look like? If it's around 3.5, I'd say you still have a shot of being accepted somewhere in Texas.

Go lurk in last year's threads and look at the stats of those that have been accepted. I've heard UTMB takes a more holistic approach with applications, so that may be a program to look at. I know there are also several programs outside of the state that you would be competitive for, but you should also consider how much debt you want to accumulate. Do you have a strong preference for certain schools or do you just want to be accepted into a program?
Thanks for the reply!! My last 60 is not a 3.5, funny you mention UTMB, I completed their application in its entirety last week. I just want to get accepted, I am in my early 20s, I am single and I was blessed to have a full ride for athletics throughout undergrad so I can afford to take out big loans and what not for grad school if needed. Besides I would rather be in debt for life and be an Occupational therapist than be debt free and not be one at all. What out of Texas schools you think I am competitive for?

Thanks for the reply!! My last 60 is not a 3.5, funny you mention UTMB, I completed their application in its entirety last week. I just want to get accepted, I am in my early 20s, I am single and I was blessed to have a full ride for athletics throughout undergrad so I can afford to take out big loans and what not for grad school if needed. Besides I would rather be in debt for life and be an Occupational therapist than be debt free and not be one at all. What out of Texas schools you think I am competitive for?

If you really don't care about the debt, there are several private schools outside of Texas that wouldn't be too difficult for you to get into. If the rest of your application is strong, you might have a chance at UTMB and TWU Houston. Although, it really depends on the quality of the applicant pool for each programs. Several Texas MOT programs are seeing more and more highly qualified applicants, so it becomes harder to get accepted with every year.

EDIT: I don't know much about admissions for UTEP, Tech, UTHSCSA, and UTPA, so I'd get other opinions for those schools.

Last edited:
If you really don't care about the debt, there are several private schools outside of Texas that wouldn't be too difficult for you to get into. If the rest of your application is strong, you might have a chance at UTMB and TWU Houston. Although, it really depends on the quality of the applicant pool for each programs. Several Texas MOT programs are seeing more and more highly qualified applicants, so it becomes harder to get accepted with every year.

*I don't know much about admissions for UTEP, Tech, UTHSCSA, and UTPA, so I'd get other opinions for those schools.
Hmmm I see, why you say TWU Houston? I figure they are GPA based just like Dallas which takes about a 3.6 or higher in last 60 and prereq. And I am assuming this applicant pool will be even stronger cause the economy is not good and everybody wants a career change, if fact I do not know why applicant pools would ever slow down. And does applying really early help offset anything or is it just a way to get a quick denial?

I think TWU Houston generally sees less applicants than TWU Dallas, so it's just a bit easier to get into. The average last 60 GPA for Dallas was about 3.7-3.8 last year, but keep in mind that the number is an average and not the actual range of accepted applicants' GPAs. Also, there are always people who get in after being placed on the waitlist.

I really don't know if applying very early improves your chances of acceptance; I've heard different things in regard to when schools start looking at applications. Although if a school has two deadlines for turning in applications, I'd definitely apply by the first deadline. Some schools will fill up most spots with the first round of applicants and only take a few during the second round. I don't know if any schools in Texas have two separate deadlines anymore, but it's something to pay attention to.

I think TWU Houston generally sees less applicants than TWU Dallas, so it's just a bit easier to get into. The average last 60 GPA for Dallas was about 3.7-3.8 last year, but keep in mind that the number is an average and not the actual range of accepted applicants' GPAs. Also, there are always people who get in after being placed on the waitlist.

I really don't know if applying very early improves your chances of acceptance; I've heard different things in regard to when schools start looking at applications. Although if a school has two deadlines for turning in applications, I'd definitely apply by the first deadline. Some schools will fill up most spots with the first round of applicants and only take a few during the second round. I don't know if any schools in Texas have two separate deadlines anymore, but it's something to pay attention to.
Ok thanks, and Tech has two deadlines and so does UTEP, I think Houston gets those that don't get into to Dallas right? Isn't it when you apply for TWU you are applying for both?

Yes, TWU has one application for both schools. Houston does not necessarily get those that don't get into Dallas--applicants select their school of preference and decisions are made from there. There are applicants whose stats weren't high enough for the more competitive Dallas program that were accepted into Houston. Some Dallas applicants don't mark on their application that they're open to attending the Houston program, so they may be denied altogether when they could have likely been accepted to the Houston program. Some people apply only to Houston. Both campuses have quality programs, so I wouldn't put one above the other. Dallas is harder to get into simply because more people apply there.

If you go to the information sessions that TWU and other schools host, you can pick up some really good info. Thoroughly search each school's website--you'll find a lot of the answers to the questions you're asking here.

Yes, TWU has one application for both schools. Houston does not necessarily get those that don't get into Dallas--applicants select their school of preference and decisions are made from there. There are applicants whose stats weren't high enough for the more competitive Dallas program that were accepted into Houston. Some Dallas applicants don't mark on their application that they're open to attending the Houston program, so they may be denied altogether when they could have likely been accepted to the Houston program. Some people apply only to Houston. Both campuses have quality programs, so I wouldn't put one above the other. Dallas is harder to get into simply because more people apply there.

If you go to the information sessions that TWU and other schools host, you can pick up some really good info. Thoroughly search each school's website--you'll find a lot of the answers to the questions you're asking here.
Hmmm ok thanks for the reply!, I would not mind Houston or any school for that matter. Are you an OT yourself?

You're welcome! I'm not an OT, though I work with a few. I'm still finishing up my undergraduate degree. :)

You're welcome! I'm not an OT, though I work with a few. I'm still finishing up my undergraduate degree. :)
Oh ok thanks for the info!, why you think out of state and private schools are less competitive? This question I can't just ask an admissions office.

I only mentioned out-of-state private schools because we don't have private schools that offer the MOT program in Texas. I've head that out-of-state public schools are harder to get into because they prefer to take in residents. Private schools will vary--some highly regarded programs will be more difficult to get into because they have more applicants, but some programs get only a few applicants. I've also heard of schools that have lower requirements, but those will likely put you in a lot of debt.

I only mentioned out-of-state private schools because we don't have private schools that offer the MOT program in Texas. I've head that out-of-state public schools are harder to get into because they prefer to take in residents. Private schools will vary--some highly regarded programs will be more difficult to get into because they have more applicants, but some programs get only a few applicants. I've also heard of schools that have lower requirements, but those will likely put you in a lot of debt.
well I dont care about debt, besides aren't their ways to get loan forgiveness?

I've heard of workplaces offering loan forgiveness programs, but I haven't looked into it. If you honestly don't mind the debt, look into applying to those schools if you'd like.

I've heard of workplaces offering loan forgiveness programs, but I haven't looked into it. If you honestly don't mind the debt, look into applying to those schools if you'd like.
Ok cool thanks, I definitely do not mind, are you going into OT?

If you look through my post history, you can see that I definitely want to go into OT!

If you look through my post history, you can see that I definitely want to go into OT!
Oh ok lol makes sense, yea out of state would not bother me cause I am single and in my early 20s so relocating would be a cinch.