Do I have a shot?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

polonid2

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Alright guys heres my stats, any chance you can lmk what my chances are???

3.29 cGPA, 3.18 sGPA as a biology major undergrad...in a masters program now for biochem all but finished with research with a 3.66 GPA in the MA program

MCAT 29 (9PS/9VR/11BS)

Graduate Teaching Assistant: I teach General and Organic Chemistry Labs
2 years research on anti-angeotensive properties (polyphenolic compounds) on the infamous purple potato and albumin binding constants with different polyphenols
4 years ice hockey athlete (DIvision champs)
2 year coach of varsity hockey program
1 year on a Graduate student board/council
4 LORs (1 from a DO)
100 hours clinical
40 hours shadowing DO
Awards: Loyola Scholarship (Partial undergrad) ACHA (hockey) Academic All American, Several Deans Lists, Phi kappa lambda betta something Chemical National Honor Society
300+ hours of volunteering in local youth ice hockey clinics
Several clubs (Health professions, chemistry, university republicans)
Pennsylvania resident, white...very very white (summer suckkkkks)

That's more or less what I'm working with here...can you guys give me a few ideas on where to apply for next year's AMCAS/AACOMAS? (I know my GPA is low). Is there any chance for an MD program inside the country? Thanks guys (and gals)!

Members don't see this ad.

3.29 cGPA, 3.18 sGPA
masters program now for biochem all but finished with research
3.66 GPA in the MA program

MCAT 29 (9PS/9VR/11BS)

Interesting ECs. Doable MCAT. Questionable GPA.

Were either of your master's degrees in SMP-like programs (or is your biochem master's an MA :confused:)?

If you have two master's, what is your biochem graduate GPA? If > 3.7, your GPA should be high enough to get you some looks.

The MCAT is doing you no favors, though, and will be a tough sell to MD programs.

If you do not feel a retake would be beneficial to you, apply broadly. Applying broadly regardless of your score is probably a good idea anyway! Good luck :thumbup:

You should be all set to go for DO schools. For MD, it depends on your Grad GPA and how you apply. You will have a shot at the low-tiers and new programs, and if your Grad GPA is high, maybe even mid-tiers.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys sorry for the confusion, I am currently in a biochemistry thesis tracked masters program (M.A.), so only 1 masters degree being obtained. It is NOT an SMP program. I am done with all of my classes, and I currently have a 3.66 in this program, but when I pass my thesis I will receive credit and my GPA will become above a 3.7 something. Hope that clears up the confusion.

Hey guys sorry for the confusion, I am currently in a biochemistry thesis tracked masters program (M.A.), so only 1 masters degree being obtained. It is NOT an SMP program. I am done with all of my classes, and I currently have a 3.66 in this program, but when I pass my thesis I will receive credit and my GPA will become above a 3.7 something. Hope that clears up the confusion.

I don't want to discount your achievements, but I heard a graduate GPA is not positively viewed as an undergraduate GPA.

I think you're fine for any DO program, and while there are MD schools that reward reinvention, I think that you should have done better on the MCAT. Suggest re-taking, and scoring > 30 if you serious about MD.

Alright guys heres my stats, any chance you can lmk what my chances are???

3.29 cGPA, 3.18 sGPA as a biology major undergrad...in a masters program now for biochem all but finished with research with a 3.66 GPA in the MA program

MCAT 29 (9PS/9VR/11BS)

Graduate Teaching Assistant: I teach General and Organic Chemistry Labs
2 years research on anti-angeotensive properties (polyphenolic compounds) on the infamous purple potato and albumin binding constants with different polyphenols
4 years ice hockey athlete (DIvision champs)
2 year coach of varsity hockey program
1 year on a Graduate student board/council
4 LORs (1 from a DO)
100 hours clinical
40 hours shadowing DO
Awards: Loyola Scholarship (Partial undergrad) ACHA (hockey) Academic All American, Several Deans Lists, Phi kappa lambda betta something Chemical National Honor Society
300+ hours of volunteering in local youth ice hockey clinics
Several clubs (Health professions, chemistry, university republicans)
Pennsylvania resident, white...very very white (summer suckkkkks)

That's more or less what I'm working with here...can you guys give me a few ideas on where to apply for next year's AMCAS/AACOMAS? (I know my GPA is low). Is there any chance for an MD program inside the country? Thanks guys (and gals)!

3.7+ is good. General MA degree ... potentially not so much.

I don't want to discount your achievements, but I heard a graduate GPA is not positively viewed as an undergraduate GPA.

A more precise way to state this is perhaps: A poor undergraduate GPA will not be ignored in favor of a good graduate GPA for most MD programs.

There is *some* recognition of so-called Special Master's Programs (SMPs) at medical schools, and *some* recognition given that SMPs are more academically rigorous than general graduate school programs. But each candidate must make his case to each medical school.

I think you're fine for any DO program, and while there are MD schools that reward reinvention, I think that you should have done better on the MCAT. Suggest re-taking, and scoring > 30 if you serious about MD.

Hey Goro, any idea on what M.D. schools I should be considering? I understand that I am on the low end of the lower tier M.D. schools, but I just want to be covering all of my bases. I will definitely be applying D.O. as well. I don't want to go outside of the country, so I can eliminate those choices, but like I said, I just want to make the most of next year's application process. Thanks again!