Do I have a shot??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nieceyj12

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello All. I've been reading these forums and I've seen a million of these "competitiveness" threads - but mine is for real! I have recently convinced myself that Rad Onc is for me and I need some tips to make the dream a reality! I don't have 250s, AOA, or a ton of research - aka I'm just a regular med student

Numbers:
MS3 - at HBCU med school (minority)
A's and B's in rotations
Avg (220s) USMLE Step Score
Master's in Neurobiology
Research - unrelated to Rad Onc, 1st/2nd year of school. No real pubs

Plan:
I really wanna do RAd Onc, willing to do ANYTHING!!!
Step2 Aug - aiming for 230/240 is realistic
Harvard away (1st year Summer research there)
2 more aways (We can't start doing aways until Aug)

SO.... you guys have given such good advice over the years, I thought I'd give it a try. There's not really much time for me to get research, but I am not above kissing ass! ALL suggestions/feedback are welcome!!

Members don't see this ad.

Hello All. I've been reading these forums and I've seen a million of these "competitiveness" threads - but mine is for real! I have recently convinced myself that Rad Onc is for me and I need some tips to make the dream a reality! I don't have 250s, AOA, or a ton of research - aka I'm just a regular med student

Numbers:
A's and B's in rotations
Master's in Neurobiology

Plan:

SO.... you guys have given such good advice over the years, I thought I'd give it a try. There's not really much time for me to get research, but I am not above kissing ass! ALL suggestions/feedback are welcome!!

you really need some publications in order to have a shot at matching, consider taking time off to do research if you really do think you'd be much happier being in this great field

You have a couple things going against you..

1) Relatively low Step 1 scores
2) Not affiliated with strong home rad onc program
3) Med school not a top tier program
4) No research

#1-3 is unchangeable. You can work on 4 by getting involved in rad onc specific research. Also, try to max out Step 2. If you do these things, you wouldn't have to take a year off.

Agree with this. I would also drop the idea of doing an away at Harvard. It's extremely unlikely that you would get an interview, let alone match there, even with an away. Instead, consider targeting programs that you would be more competitive at. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)

Last edited:
I'm really sorry guys, I've always hated these "Do I have a shot" threads, but now I'm in a situation where i need some honest advice and I would really appreciate everyone's input.

My situation:
MS3, I just finished a Rad Onc rotation out of pure curiosity and loved it (previously was planning on doing Peds Heme-Onc). Now before embarking on the match journey, given how competitive it is, I just wanted to know if I had a decent shot at matching.

Basics: At a top 25 medical school with a strong, established Rad Onc department and relatively big residency program.

Stats: Honored everything first 2 years, 3rd year's been a mix of Hs and HPs. 244 on step 1. I'm also hoping to take step 2 early and score in the 250s.

Research: Did a year of HHMI-NIH bench research with a 2nd author pub in a solid basic science journal, not related to Rad Onc, but somewhat related to basic cancer biology. Also 2 abstracts at big national meetings. However, I'm not sure how much Rad Onc research I can get done between now and 4th year since I'm on Ob-Gyn right now and I have medicine next. I might be able to start something at the beginning of 4th year but I doubt it will be published.

Any thoughts, advice, recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

No offense but why the worry? Don't need to know from birth you're headed for rad onc.

I've consolidated the "chances" threads to a single thread for ease of use. For future applicants, the best time to get advice is right after Match Day in March.

I'd suggest reading the FAQ if you've not already done so.

I'm really sorry guys, I've always hated these "Do I have a shot" threads, but now I'm in a situation where i need some honest advice and I would really appreciate everyone's input.

My situation:
MS3, I just finished a Rad Onc rotation out of pure curiosity and loved it (previously was planning on doing Peds Heme-Onc). Now before embarking on the match journey, given how competitive it is, I just wanted to know if I had a decent shot at matching.

Basics: At a top 25 medical school with a strong, established Rad Onc department and relatively big residency program.
Stats: Honored everything first 2 years, 3rd year's been a mix of Hs and HPs. 244 on step 1. I'm also hoping to take step 2 early and score in the 250s.

Research: Did a year of HHMI-NIH bench research with a 2nd author pub in a solid basic science journal, not related to Rad Onc, but somewhat related to basic cancer biology. Also 2 abstracts at big national meetings. However, I'm not sure how much Rad Onc research I can get done between now and 4th year since I'm on Ob-Gyn right now and I have medicine next. I might be able to start something at the beginning of 4th year but I doubt it will be published.

Any thoughts, advice, recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

You're in fantastic shape based on the bolded sections. I suggest trying to get a radonc-specific abstract out before applications, doing a couple of aways at places you'd be competitive at, and getting some letters from well-known faculty at your home institution.

You're in fantastic shape based on the bolded sections. I suggest trying to get a radonc-specific abstract out before applications, doing a couple of aways at places you'd be competitive at, and getting some letters from well-known faculty at your home institution.

Thanks for the encouragement!

Numbers:
A's and B's in rotations
Master's in Neurobiology

Plan:

I think that people often underestimate how well applicants with scores in the 220s perform in the match. This forum can be very misleading in that regard because there are so many people with board scores >240 inquiring as to their "chances". Review the NRMP data on this if you have not already done so; I think that you will be pleased.

Wagy27 mentioned that not being at a top tier medical school goes "against you." I don't believe this to be true since most of us are not from top tier medical schools. Your medical school's stature may not be an advantage, but I would not characterize it as a disadvantage. Keep in mind that there are indeed programs that will only interview students from top tier medical schools, however, these programs are few in number.

There is risk in rotating at Harvard, a place that will not likely consider you. However, I think that some applicants use these programs as part of their strategy to get connections and a big-name letter. It is my opinion that you should spend time in places that would be interested in having you as a resident. There are still notable people in smaller programs.

You definitely need some research. I don't think that you need to take a year off in order to accomplish that. Showing dedication with some works-in-progress and submitted material truly goes a long way at smaller programs. Emory is right in your back yard, so you should take advantage of any research they have in the department. Their Chairman, Walter Curran, is one of the bigger names in the entire field of Radiation Oncology. Plus they have two faculty members who attended HBCUs at some point in their careers!
Good luck, Neicey!