Do I have a theme/narrative? How to improve it?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheOverthinkingPremed

Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
First of all a "theme" is not a list of activities. A theme could be a common thread uniting those activities OR a lesson you derive from several of them, but not all of them.

You are a human being with multiple interests and facets. You don't want to come across as a jingle or a logo + a jingle like a branded product or something with swag slapped on it.

Don't worry about a theme at this point in time or a narrative that you intend to have in 3 years. For now, seek out experiences that you find enjoyable and that will prepare you for a career of service as a clinician. The narrative will be clearer in retrospect when you won't be listing hypothetical activities, but will be looking back on rich experiences.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
I am a first year premed so a lot of these activities I have not done yet but plan to relatively soon.
Concurring with my colleague... a story has a beginning, a middle, and an end. You're at the beginning. The beginning of a "choose your own adventure" novel. To all other readers: this... is a checklist. :)

I have a lot of credit for anyone who wants to write a "choose your own adventure novel" because you end up writing so many different endings. That's great if your living depends on writing several endings to a common story, but that sounds exhausting to worry about all the possible ways the story goes.

You will be completely exhausted if you are already dreaming about how you will end college without actually living your college experience.

Just don't plagiarize and cheat. Pick your friends carefully, and don't be the smartest person in your study group. Go to class and treat your professors to some good coffee/lunch (or quality beer if you can consume alcohol). Have some good fun and relax occasionally to free your brain cells from having to connect abstract concepts together.

OP: to your credit, you at least have come to the experts here now rather than the panic time before applying. :)

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
Agree with all of the above. Also note that you have many activities that involve children and your shadowing is heavy on procedures and devices. Do you particularly like using your hands?

Would you like to care for sick children? (Some people like kids but couldn't make a career out of being around kids in discomfort --or worse-- day after day and that's okay.)
Do you feel particularly drawn to a type of medicine that is high tech? Have you tested this interest in a few different ways (including shadowing)?

Maybe after some additional experience you might see your theme being an intersection of pediatrics and high tech -- or you might run in the other direction and find that you are a think on your feet, innovate on the fly kind of person who would prefer to care for adults. As has been said, this is a time for exploration and after some time, the things that draw you to medicine will become clearer.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
First of all a "theme" is not a list of activities. A theme could be a common thread uniting those activities OR a lesson you derive from several of them, but not all of them.

You are a human being with multiple interested and facets. You don't want to come across as a jingle or a logo + a jingle like a branded produce to something with swag slapped on it.

Don't worry about a theme at this point in time or a narrative that you intend to have in 3 years. For now, seek out experiences that you find enjoyable and that will prepare you for a career of service as a clinician. The narrative will be clearer in retrospect when you won't be listing hypothetical activities, but will be looking back on rich experiences.
Thank you!!

Reactions: 1 user
Agree with all of the above. Also note that you have many activities that involve children and your shadowing is heavy on procedures and devices. Do you particularly like using your hands?

Would you like to care for sick children? (Some people like kids but couldn't make a career out of being around kids in discomfort --or worse-- day after day and that's okay.)
Do you feel particularly drawn to a type of medicine that is high tech? Have you tested this interest in a few different ways (including shadowing)?

Maybe after some additional experience you might see your theme being an intersection of pediatrics and high tech -- or you might run in the other direction and find that you are a think on your feet, innovate on the fly kind of person who would prefer to care for adults. As has been said, this is a time for exploration and after some time, the things that draw you to medicine will become clearer.
Thank you, Lizzy.
I am definitely an individual that like using my hands. I think my shadowing being more procedural is due to the connections I have. I will be getting some primary care too so I can see if I like that!
I would like to care for sick children, especially after working in the peds ER but who knows, it is subject to change.
I never thought about the high tech aspect - thank you for this insight. I will have to pursue more.

Thank you for your help.

Concurring with my colleague... a story has a beginning, a middle, and an end. You're at the beginning. The beginning of a "choose your own adventure" novel. To all other readers: this... is a checklist. :)

I have a lot of credit for anyone who wants to write a "choose your own adventure novel" because you end up writing so many different endings. That's great if your living depends on writing several endings to a common story, but that sounds exhausting to worry about all the possible ways the story goes.

You will be completely exhausted if you are already dreaming about how you will end college without actually living your college experience.

Just don't plagiarize and cheat. Pick your friends carefully, and don't be the smartest person in your study group. Go to class and treat your professors to some good coffee/lunch (or quality beer if you can consume alcohol). Have some good fun and relax occasionally to free your brain cells from having to connect abstract concepts together.

OP: to your credit, you at least have come to the experts here now rather than the panic time before applying. :)
Okay, okay. Live more, less daydreaming lolol. I think my list is probably a result of watching too many YouTube videos on 'good' apps way too early. Thank you for your help.

Who's to say what is a theme and what is not a theme? Make it make sense.

Reactions: 1 users