Do I have to take step 2 before applying to Emory or any others

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kaw

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Saw something on Emory's website about step 2 being a requirement to apply? Anyone know about this or does it mean that I have to pass step 2 before starting PGY2?

thanks

Members don't see this ad.

kaw,

I applied to Emory last summer via ERAS. I had no intention of taking step 2 early either. They granted me an interview anyways. So you don't need to take or pass step 2 simply to apply to a path program (to my knowledge). Maybe you need to have passed step 2 for them to rank you.

kaw said:
Saw something on Emory's website about step 2 being a requirement to apply? Anyone know about this or does it mean that I have to pass step 2 before starting PGY2?

thanks

nope, your cool. i had the same issue in applying...they told me they just need you to take and pass step 2 by the time you graduate...(wow, what a difficult task). :thumbup:

there ARE a few programs out there though that are stringent about the whole step 2 thing...example DUKE. I still applied, thinking they'd be chiller about it, as other programs i noticed who SAID they require it but later by phone/email said it was just a recommendation....but no, DUKE sent me a rejection letter as a result of my step 2 absence in my app.

i'll have to warn you though, that in calling/emailng programs about their so called step 2 requirement, many gave me the run around or just flat out didn't reply...
i'd still say though that if your step 1 was pretty decent, just ride it, and enjoy your fourth year, match, and then pseudo-worry about passing step 2 (i.e. just study 2 weeks).

hope that helps.

Members don't see this ad :)
SLUsagar said:
i'd still say though that if your step 1 was pretty decent, just ride it, and enjoy your fourth year, match, and then pseudo-worry about passing step 2 (i.e. just study 2 weeks).
Amen!

Take step 2 as late as possible so the scores don't count.

P=MD

thanks a lot, no more worries. I am happy with step 1 and will go with it

Be careful though - one year's experience may not necessarily translate to the next application cycles. I am starting to wonder if programs may start requiring step II scores earlier...I doubt it but because I am a worrywort and overanalyze everything I would worry about this if I was applying again.

There is no way I will have taken Step 2 before I apply. I am not worried about it (though maybe I should be :rolleyes: ).

beary said:
There is no way I will have taken Step 2 before I apply. I am not worried about it (though maybe I should be :rolleyes: ).
I don't think there will be some drastic upheaval in the application process all of a sudden this year. Sure, some programs may want to see you take step 2 earlier but this should be explicitly communicated to you (via email, via their program website, cards attached to stinky flowers, etc.).

step 2 was such a non-issue this year. sure if you do really well on step 2 and programs see it, it will help you. but not taking step 2 didn't seem to hurt people.

Because of the way my program is scheduled, I will not have all of my core clerkships done by the time I take step 2. Basically, I will not have time for both ob/gyn and surgery - only one. (And will also have had medicine, peds, psych, etc.) Which one is better to put off until after step 2?

I would do Ob/Gyn because there seems to be a fair bit of bleeding women on that exam from what I've heard.

Taking it tomorrow.

Regarding Step 2 in general...

Once you've made it to the interview, numbers and letters are moot.

If you call, you will find that some program coordinators say they need Step 2 scores at the time of application/before the ROLs go in and etc. I would not let this stop you from applying there.

Case in point: I was told during an initial phonecall that my Step 2 scores would have to be in with the rest of my application, but at the time of the interview was told by the assistant PD they'd never seen Step 2 scores most years.

I'm not saying coordinators are silly or intentionally making your lives difficult - just keep in mind that while they have important input into the selection process they are not the review committee.

beary said:
Because of the way my program is scheduled, I will not have all of my core clerkships done by the time I take step 2. Basically, I will not have time for both ob/gyn and surgery - only one. (And will also have had medicine, peds, psych, etc.) Which one is better to put off until after step 2?
you know...i had an elaborate response all typed out...then SDN crashed.

in any case, i shall try to recapitulate what i typed out half an hour or so ago.

The important testable info for OB/GYN is definitely finite and manageable compared to that in surgery. OB/GYN can be easily summed up in a review book such as Crush Step 2. Surgery is more complex because it encompasses a wide array of topics. Why? Cuz there are many surgical subspecialties and a lot of them are fair game when it comes down to step 2. For example, you could be tested on vascular, endocrine, ass surgery, ENT, trauma/burn, neurosurg, urology, etc. I would say that trauma and abdominal pain are commonly tested topics. Trauma is something you really can't study, in my opinion...you kinda have to see it to easily learn it.

I had more surgery on my step 2 than OB/GYN. Of course, everyone's step 2 exam content may differ since this test is really no longer standardized in the strictest sense. I think it would serve you better to do a surgery rotation rather than OB/GYN prior to taking step 2. OB/GYN can be easily crammed whereas cramming is little more difficult in surgery.

this post didn't come out the way i originally intended...but hopefully you catch my drift. :)

Thanks beary.

My other reason for doing Ob/Gyn is that if it close to Step 2 test-taking time, you might have more free time on Gyn with which to study than on Surgery.

Members don't see this ad :)
deschutes has just informed me that my post in response to your question sucks. hence please ignore my post. listen to deschutes. do ob/gyn.

studying for step 2 has warped her mind...she's uttering weird things.

(and i told her not to study the day before the damn exam...does she listen? no)

Thanks deschutes and Andy for your advice. Things are really clear for me now. :laugh:

I don't think either one of them will be near test time. Right now I have surgery scheduled in August and ob/gyn in April (my very last rotation in med school!) I will probably take step 2 in March since we have to get the scores back before graduation.

beary said:
Thanks......Andy for your advice. Things are really clear for me now. :laugh:

I don't think either one of them will be near test time. Right now I have surgery scheduled in August and ob/gyn in April (my very last rotation in med school!) I will probably take step 2 in March since we have to get the scores back before graduation.

oh you're very welcome. you have chosen....wisely :D

:laugh:

beary said:
Thanks deschutes and Andy for your advice. Things are really clear for me now. :laugh:

see if it's possible to get out of taking OBGYN altogether... ;)

all those memories of "swiff testing," of using those cheap-ass plastic speculums and then having the it lock on your as you maneuver, of the SMELL of placenta (what's up with that by the way???), ....i'd prefer to forget about those.

SLUsagar said:
see if it's possible to get out of taking OBGYN altogether... ;)

Believe me, I would if I could! I think that is the rotation that I am dreading most of all. :scared:

Aargh my brain is mush. I had to plug my ears to stop it from oozing out :scared:

And I'm going to do this all over again on Thursday. Just wonderful :thumbdown:

For now I have one mission only: eat drink and be merry! :clap: :clap: :clap:

deschutes said:
Aargh my brain is mush. I had to plug my ears to stop it from oozing out :scared:

And I'm going to do this all over again on Thursday. Just wonderful :thumbdown:

Congrats on getting Step 2 over with! :clap:

What is happening on Thursday?

Are you guys talking about step 2CS AND CK or just CK or what? The reason why I ask (while ducking the flames) is that i want to go to Duke so basically woudl i have to take step 2 in June of 4th year or what? I was thinking about taking it early and taking CK whenever- the earlier the better probably.
also i read on a BLOG where you have a better chance of getting ranked if you interview in the middle as opposed to the end of the interview season. why shoudl this even matter?

OK. I think someone at some point said that you need Step 2 to get an interview at Duke. That is not true. I got an interview at Duke (albeit Duke was one of the last places to contact me regarding an interview) and this was long before I took step 2. I don't know if you need step 2 for them to rank you...but you probably don't need to be taking step 2 in june (which is really early) if Duke is gonna be your #1. You could turn in your applications and then interview at Duke in November or December. Maybe by then you will have taken step 2. If that's the case, and Duke asks you about step 2 during your interview, you can simply let them know that you have taken it and you will release the score to them once it is available.

When should you take step 2? Short answer...it depends on how you did on step 1.

When should you interview at your most coveted programs? Somewhere in the middle of the interview season is fine. I would feel uncomfortable interviewing at my top choice programs early on...you want to practice at some of your lower ranked programs first. Probably don't want to interview at your top choice programs at the very end either. Near the end of January, people tend to cancel their interviews...they'll be surprised if you show up and probably won't take you as seriously. Kinda reminds of my Stanford experience. At the end of the day, it probably really doesn't matter. When you decide to interview and where should be according to your comfort level and the ease of scheduling flights. Don't overstrategize it thinking that the programs will perceive you differently depending on when you interview...probably doesn't matter in the long run.