Do I have to take usmle step2

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MixerDO

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I took usmle step 1 and comlex level 1, do I need to take both again or can I just take comlex level 2? Are there many programs that don't recognize comlex level 2 or does it not matter past level 1? And if I don't take usmle step2 will that prevent me from being able to apply to a fellowship if I decide I want to do one in the future? Basically in what ways could it hurt me if I don't take usmle? I'm only applying to acgme psychiatry programs

Members don't see this ad.

I would look into the programs that you have particular interest in. There are a good number that do not accept COMLEX or prefer a USMLE score. What happens when it comes down to you (without Step 2) and another DO student (with Step 2)? Who looks better on paper (assuming all else relatively equal)? I say if you're prepared, take it. It will keep more doors open.

I took both and it feels pretty awesome going into application season with the guns fully loaded.

Think about which programs you are applying to. If they prefer USMLE, then you should do it. If you don't, you are restricting your options.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
no, not required step 1 was more than sufficient. save the money. fellowships dont consider usually consider usmle/comlex scores (in fact many don't even ask for them at all).

Yeah, don't listen to this.
Even in Psych it felt that many PDs had counter transference issues with DOs. Even if they weren't fully aware of them. If you can do well on USMLE Step 2, take it. It'll be one less thing to allow anyone to separate you from your MD counterparts.

What if you did very well on USMLE step 1 though? i mean, dont some MD students not even take step 2 CK until after application season anyway?

Even in Psych it felt that many PDs had counter transference issues with DOs.
If it's not therapy, it's not countertransference, it's simply negative bias :) (Countertransference is not always negative by the way.)

Anyway, good luck with your applications!

What if you did very well on USMLE step 1 though? i mean, dont some MD students not even take step 2 CK until after application season anyway?
True. But we're not MD students. I would take it.

I only took USMLE step 1, and scored average (110s). I scored a little bit above average on COMLEX 1 and 2. I got interviews at many east coast programs, including several "top 10." On one interview I even brought up not taking USME step 2 due to the expense, and shared I felt that my step 1 performance proved the point that the tests are fairly similar. I wanted to make sure it wouldn't be a problem for them (it wasn't). This program ended up being my #1 choice, and where I ultimately matched.

Certainly this was just my experience, and if you want to be super safe, go ahead and take USMLE step 2, but for me I couldn't bring myself to go through another test (there was a computer glitch during my COMLEX 2 that resulted in my having to retake the exam, ugh). If I hadn't matched at my top choice I may have always asked myself if it was because I didn't take step 2, but fortunately I'm not in that situation.

I would look into the programs that you have particular interest in. There are a good number that do not accept COMLEX or prefer a USMLE score. What happens when it comes down to you (without Step 2) and another DO student (with Step 2)? Who looks better on paper (assuming all else relatively equal)? I say if you're prepared, take it. It will keep more doors open.

I took both and it feels pretty awesome going into application season with the guns fully loaded.

Even programs that say nothing about requiring USMLE, prefer USMLE, every single one of them. If they say they don't care, they will if all things are equal. It is $ + time and effort + what ability you are showing off vs. wanting the best program you can get into + an inability to tolerate apathy. Everyone is both pleasantly surprised and disappointed in aspects of programs they match into. Quality of training is something you will value the rest of your life.

Reactions: 1 user