Do I need a US visa?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medicuk

5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey

I am going to be doing some voluntary work at a US Uni/Hospital working with homeless people but I am not sure whether I need a visa or not - I have left it really late (because I have only just arranged the experience) and am not sure whether I need a J-1 Work visa or I can travel on the visa waiver program? I am a british citizen with a full passport.

Please help im panicking!!

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Unless your volunteer work is considered employment and you can pop back to Britain once every 90-day period you should be fine, as I understand it, but I am in no way an expert on visa issues...

I wouldn't rely entirely on my own advise here, so make sure you check with the US embassy as well, usually their webpages contain sufficient information.

Get a visa ! (state that you intend to cross the US canadian border by car ant that you might travel to mexico, otherwise they won't give you visitor visa these days and refer you to the visa waiver program)

With the visa waiver, the customs and immigration enforcement officer has the right to turn you back at the airport without even having to justify his decision. It is not appealable, if he gets the feeling that your 2 month vacation sounds fishy, he has every right to turn you back. (With a visa, you would be referred to 'deferred inspection' at the local USCIS office if there are questions regarding your intent to work in the US. If they decide against you, you can appeal to an administrative judge)

By all means, find a good story as to what vacation you will be doing in the US. If the BICE officer hears the word 'volunteering' you are already on the plane back ('volunteering' is commonly used as a smokescreen to obtain employment below the radar screen. People work full time and get paid in cash). Make it a family visiting trip, have plenty of travellers cheques with you and make some reservations for rental cars and touristy things.

Try to stay away from the J1 visa if you can. If they can enroll you as a student you can get an F1 which shouldn't be a problem for a brit. The J1 would actually REQUIRE the hospital to pay you a minimum salary or to provide room an board for you.