Do I need to be applying for a license already?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

auburnO5

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I haven't really heard anything from my program about it, I was just wondering how this process worked.

Members don't see this ad.

I haven't really heard anything from my program about it, I was just wondering how this process worked.

Depends on where your residency is. Certain states require a license (usually "limited" license) prior to starting residency, while other states allow you to practice as a resident without one. I would imagine that if your program hasn't told you anything yet, you're in a state that doesn't require a license prior to starting. Couldn't hurt to ask the coordinator just to make sure.

Members don't see this ad :)
Depends on where your residency is. Certain states require a license (usually "limited" license) prior to starting residency, while other states allow you to practice as a resident without one. I would imagine that if your program hasn't told you anything yet, you're in a state that doesn't require a license prior to starting. Couldn't hurt to ask the coordinator just to make sure.
Couldn't hurt? It's literally the only thing to do.

Reactions: 1 users
Everything above accurate. Some states (eg. screw you Illinois) require it and others don't. You need to get in contact with your program coordinator to get any accurate information about your specific state and what your program will need from you.

I would definitely ask your program. My program (Ohio) sent me the paperwork within a week of matching to get the process started for the training license.

Reactions: 1 user
I would definitely ask your program. My program (Ohio) sent me the paperwork within a week of matching to get the process started for the training license.

Mine too. OP, definitely ask your program, but I'm guessing if you haven't heard anything, it means you're fine.

As mentioned, a number of states allow you to work under a training license throughout residency, so nobody in such a progam is going to ever mention it to you besides having you fill out a short form. You would likely need to be actually licensed for external moonlighting and for board certification and fellowship and post-residency employment. There may be a big lag before you can undertake any of these things as you apply for a license so it often benefits you to line it up (finish step 3 and apply) about half a year before you get to any of these points. But if you are just starting residency, they are going to have you sign a one page form.