Do I need to take anatomy?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

supraman

Boston Celtics
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wondering this one, sry for the array of questions, but better to be safe than sorry.

I know it "wouldn't hurt" but can I just not take it?

Members don't see this ad.

supraman said:
Just wondering this one, sry for the array of questions, but better to be safe than sorry.

Yes, you can just not take it. Like you said it doesn't hurt and they like to see you have taken Anatomy.

I havn't taken it. It is not a requirement in any D-School that I know of but is strongly reccomended by all schools.

D-Students have across the board said that it will help you. I am taking it @ Berkeley Extension right now to prepare.

Members don't see this ad :)
PDizzle said:
I havn't taken it. It is not a requirement in any D-School that I know of but is strongly reccomended by all schools.

D-Students have across the board said that it will help you. I am taking it @ Berkeley Extension right now to prepare.

It is a requirement at Indiana and i think UMKC, so be sure to check..

supraman said:

I took a year of Anatomy and found it pretty helpful for the DAT. It reinforced basic concepts, and further explained the more challenging topics that you'll see on the Biology section, like the endocrine and circulatory systems.
Plus, if you know taking would look good, why would you not enroll?

One full year is required at Oregon Health Science University.

supraman said:

I had never taken anatomy before dental school and turned out getting the top grade in my class. Not bragging, just showing it's not that necessary before dental school as long as that particular school doesn't require it. Dental school material ain't that hard. Just a lot of volume, so yeah, it definitely doesn't hurt to have some background in some of these subjects, but not essential.

I would suggest taking it before you start dental school. Better to study material you have at least seen before than trying to learn a lot of new concepts for the first time. It will make your life a little easier during Gross Anatomy. Good luck. :)

i would say take physiology first, before anatomy. you'll also have to learn that too in dental school, and it's a far more interesting and applicable class.

I would recomend taking the Anatomy over physiology.

Anatomy requires A LOT of memorization and if you have had exposure as an undergrad or post-bac it will be easier in dental school. Physiology involves less memorization and more understanding (specially the cardiovascular system).

Since in dental school you are always under time pressure, understanding physiology is, in my opinion, takes less time then momorizing all the grooves in the skull.

Both classes are very helpful. If you have time take both, if you have no time don't take either, since you will be learning it all in dental school.

^^BUT different schools will concentrate on different things. the teacher gave us 5 pages of landmarks crap on the skull beginning of the block. but right before the test, he highlighted the "important" features, which only ended up being 1-2 pages. if you had gone through the pain of learning all that, it would have been a waste of time and brain space, because your dental school might just learn a whole different set from your undergrad class.

plus, i've found the the anatomy info leaves your brain very, very quickly, because so much of it is rote memorization. physio is more applicable and sticks more, and it is referenced to in more classes (at least with my school). learning physio will help you learn anatomy (ie, the gastro system, the circulation system) while also helping you in the basic science classes (where you will have to learn how muscles contract, etc).