Do I neeeed to retake my DAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cvo1820

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I took my DAT and wasn’t entirely thrilled with my scores, as I had been doing better on practice tests. Standardized testing is just not my thing as I move too slowly through the problems. However, I am happy with my RC score and still have a 20 AA, although it is an unconventional one. Should I seriously consider a retake? Or will I be just fine with a 3.7 sGPA and a 3.8 oGPA, & a lot of leadership, involvement, shadow hours, and volunteer work? I am a biology major and a chemistry minor.
AA/20
TS/18
GC/18
OC/18
RC/28
QR/17
BIO/18
PAT/18
Gotta give myself points for consistency though! Haha. I have also been told that RC is heavily weighted by schools as it correlates to dental school success, and I would hate to lose my 28 with a retake! Any *kind* opinions appreciated. :) Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

So I took my DAT and wasn’t entirely thrilled with my scores, as I had been doing better on practice tests. Standardized testing is just not my thing as I move too slowly through the problems. However, I am happy with my RC score and still have a 20 AA, although it is an unconventional one. Should I seriously consider a retake? Or will I be just fine with a 3.7 sGPA and a 3.8 oGPA, & a lot of leadership, involvement, shadow hours, and volunteer work? I am a biology major and a chemistry minor.
AA/20
TS/18
GC/18
OC/18
RC/28
QR/17
BIO/18
PAT/18
Gotta give myself points for consistency though! Haha. I have also been told that RC is heavily weighted by schools as it correlates to dental school success, and I would hate to lose my 28 with a retake! Any *kind* opinions appreciated. :) Thanks in advance!

NO

Reactions: 1 user
Actually, on the contrary, I possibly would think about it because the 28 is heavily inflating your AA to 20. Without it counted, you'd be at an 18AA/18TS, which is below average, especially with your pretty high GPAs. I'd perhaps apply when the cycle opens with these scores, but maybe plan for a retake later on in the cycle (like July/August) if you don't get any interviews (although you could very well get interviews and acceptances if you apply smartly, to the right types of schools).

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I agree with above--this should be a retake. Your AA is absolutely inflated by your RC score. You have a good GPA, which tells me you probably have the motivation to study harder/more efficiently/etc for this exam to bring your score up! Good luck!

I’d probably retake.. and I don’t say that often haha. But as stated above, the 20 is inflated because of the RC. 18 TS and even 18 PAT doesn’t look good to adcoms

Of course you should retake
you are only 20 because of RC!

Your Gpa is only making things worse.

They will look at this high amazing GPA and they might say but 18 in on DAT, what the heck, it must be that his school or major was easy or something is amiss here!

Of course you should retake
you are only 20 because of RC!

Your Gpa is only making things worse.

They will look at this high amazing GPA and they might say but 18 in on DAT, what the heck, it must be that his school or major was easy or something is amiss here!

Chill, we’re all friends here