Do I stand a chance?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

1889osu

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all. I was just looking for some insight on what the reality is of what I'm working with as an applicant, and where I truly stand on getting my foot in the door for an interview. I have both a low cumulative GPA (2.85) and science GPA (2.72). My OAT scores are 310 AA and 320 TS. I have over 120 hours of shadowing experience and performed research with an assistant optometry professor at OSU's College of Optometry. I was also able to obtain 3 letters of recommendation (2 optometrists and my organic chemistry professor). I applied to Midwestern, SCCO, NOVA, PCO and SCO. I submitted my OptomCAS app Jan. 24th so I know I'm on the later side for applying. So, back to the question, how are my chances? Please, give it to me straight. Thank you to anybody who can shed some light on the subject. :)

Members don't see this ad.

The best way to find out what your chances are is to contact each school's admissions office. They will give it to you pretty straight. But for what it's worth, here's my random internet stranger opinion: Your overall and science GPA are low. The earlier you apply, the better your chances will be. I would say if you had applied in august, you would probably have gotten an interview somewhere. Most schools will only be filling their last spots this month, although Midwestern has a longer window than most. The good news is you already applied, so all you have to do is wait now. If you do get an interview, make sure you read some things to prepare you, and nail it. Schools can be choosier the later you get in the year. Good luck!

There is a list floating around here that has the incoming stats from last year's class at each of the schools. That might be helpful to you. Your scores are a bit on the low side, but I do think that you can get into one of the schools that takes lower applicants. Your scores aren't unfathomably low or anything, just maybe a little lower than average. Actually your OAT is probably at the average for some of the schools.