Do I stand a chance?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NotAngie

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know there are similar threads to this but I was hoping for some feedback regarding my specific situation.

I have recently realized my desire to be a vet and am now trying to work out how to make it happen.

I'm already working on getting animal experience, in fact I have an interview for a vet assistant position this week. My GRE scores are good though I think I could improve my quantitative score.

My biggest concern is my GPA. I graduated with a 2.85 GPA and a bachelors in psychology. I did have extenuating family circumstances that caused it to be lower which I suppose I could explain.

What I have working for me I suppose is that the only vet pre-reqs I took were 2 semesters of biology and one semester of math. I got B's in all three. So I am currently planning to go back to my undergrad university to get all the science courses I missed.

If I get high grades in all my science classes do you think there is a chance I could still get in? I plan to take more than just the basics to make up for my poor undergrad GPA.

I would want to go to VMRCVM and they say on their website that the minimum required GPA is 2.8, which I currently meet. I'm just really anxious about the GPA situation.

Members don't see this ad.

since no one else has chimed in yet....

*hoof* that's quite a hurdle. of course, nothing's impossible, but you're going to have to get straight As in your future science classes in order to be considered.

they say a minimum of 2.8, but considering most of their applications are going to be well over 3.5-3.7, they still won't likely look at you (at this point). a near 4.0 for your science classes will look very good, and combined with a great GRE score (1300+), it should help to over shadow your past GPA. in addition, excellent experiences and recs will be needed to show that your grades are your only weak spot (cause it's a pretty big one).

how long ago did you graduate? what have you done since? i have NO intentions of deterring you (trust me, i hate it when people do that), just making it clear how hard you'll have to work, and as i don't know you, i have to hit you over the head with it ;). if you plan this out, and can get (or already have) experiences with excellent recommendations while studying your butt off for good grades, you'll be a vet. your 'strategery' should also include picking your best bet of schools to apply to. is vmrcvm your in-state? top choice? it doesn't matter... you have plenty of time before applications.

go get 'em.

I absolutely think that if you kicked some you-know-what in your science pre-reqs, you would be able to get in. It is much better to go from less-than-stellar grades in something else to fantastic grades in your pre-reqs rather than the other way around. Some schools really only care about your pre-req grades anyway.

The other thing is, experience, experience, experience! If you have never worked with animals before (having a pet doesn't count, sorry :p), then you definitely should do that before you make the commitment to go for the degree (and as Emio said, I don't know you, so just think of this as a general thought for anyone considering the profession). Don't take this the wrong way because it sounds like you have done a lot of ground work and thinking about it, but some people think the profession is playing with animals all day (I have an assistant colleague at work like this and there is not a day that goes by that I don't think "you don't belong here." But I digress...). And lots of different experiences are best (SA, LA, research, shelter, etc.)

I think that, as Emio said, as long as you are committed and have a clear picture of what that means prior to getting into vet school, there is no question that you can do it!

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the replies. Quite the hurdle, I know.

I live in Maryland, so yes VMCRVM is my in-state. I am still researching schools though.

I think that I can get A's in my pre-reqs. I got B's in bio in college and A's in chem and AP chem in high school and I really didn't study at all. I'm much more dedicated to school now so I'm ready to work with everything I've got to get A's.

I think I'm in a good position for experience too. I'm going to start working 8 hours a week at a cat clinic. I also have a friend who volunteers at the national zoo in DC so she is going to work with me to start getting some experience there. I obviously have quite a while to get experience since I can only take 2 classes per semester at most to get my pre-reqs (I'm still working my full time job).

I've thought about this a lot and people keep telling me how hard it's going to be and why don't I just be a vet tech instead. But I don't *want* to be a vet tech. I have never been so sure about anything in my life as I am about wanting to be a vet.

Oh and to answer the questions: I graduated in 2004. My first year and a half out I worked as a behavioral therapist with children with autism. When I got burnt out on that I got a job as a legal assistant and have been working at a law firm since.

Thanks for the replies. Quite the hurdle, I know.

I live in Maryland, so yes VMCRVM is my in-state. I am still researching schools though.

I think that I can get A's in my pre-reqs. I got B's in bio in college and A's in chem and AP chem in high school and I really didn't study at all. I'm much more dedicated to school now so I'm ready to work with everything I've got to get A's.

I think I'm in a good position for experience too. I'm going to start working 8 hours a week at a cat clinic. I also have a friend who volunteers at the national zoo in DC so she is going to work with me to start getting some experience there. I obviously have quite a while to get experience since I can only take 2 classes per semester at most to get my pre-reqs (I'm still working my full time job).

I've thought about this a lot and people keep telling me how hard it's going to be and why don't I just be a vet tech instead. But I don't *want* to be a vet tech. I have never been so sure about anything in my life as I am about wanting to be a vet.

Oh and to answer the questions: I graduated in 2004. My first year and a half out I worked as a behavioral therapist with children with autism. When I got burnt out on that I got a job as a legal assistant and have been working at a law firm since.
that's the kind of response i was hoping to hear. good for you! i'd wish you luck, but i don't think you need it ;)