MD Do I still have a chance?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

John Dean

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,
I am currently going into my senior year with a low overall gpa of 3.0. I do go to a prestigious college (which a lot of people have been telling me that medical schools will take that into consideration when looking over my application. I do not know if that will help though). I also have not taken the MCAT yet but do plan to take it after the big change happens. I wanted to ask those who are/were in my shoes with a low gpa, what exactly are my options? Can I do 1 or 2 year of postbacc, take my mcats but in the mean time continue with my neuro research and public health research in school? I am afraid that I will not get into med school as I believe that my gpa is complete rubbish. Please help. Any advices on what I can do to make myself competitive so that I actually have a chance at becoming a physician one day?
Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Without an MCAT we can't really say. However, while 3.0 students do get in, it is far from competitive. Going to a prestigious school may help a small amount but it certainly won't compensate for your GPA. That said, a strong performance in a post-bacc and a good score on your MCAT would likely make you competitive in DO and some MD schools, assuming you have strong ECs.

Reactions: 1 user