DO interested in acgme california psych residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

edub1984

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

I've done a bit of searching on the psych forum here on sdn regarding acgme psych residencies in california that take DOs (seems promising for some programs), but wanted some input on my particular situation. Im an oms 3 at a (the only) socal osteopathic school. Quick stats: somewhere in top 1/3 of class (towards bottom), honors and high passes so far in third year, some research during 2nd year with 1 publication (nothing great by any means), 244 usmle step1, but a high pass in psych (this was because I didn't honor the OSCE, ugghh, but good eval), should have good LORs from peds, neuro, psych attendings, and my PI for my research project. Anyway, I really enjoyed my psych rotation and think it's my calling. Im in the process of setting up my 4th year and wanted some advice regarding what program I should set my sights on if im hellbent on staying in california and want the best education possible, and whether that seems like a reasonable goal given my situation. Basically, if you were me, how would you proceed? I realize there have been similar questions asked in previous threads, so basically I'm just hoping the generous contributors of SDN can throw me a couple more nuggets of sage wisdom. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hello all,

I've done a bit of searching on the psych forum here on sdn regarding acgme psych residencies in california that take DOs (seems promising for some programs), but wanted some input on my particular situation. Im an oms 3 at a (the only) socal osteopathic school. Quick stats: somewhere in top 1/3 of class (towards bottom), honors and high passes so far in third year, some research during 2nd year with 1 publication (nothing great by any means), 244 usmle step1, but a high pass in psych (this was because I didn't honor the OSCE, ugghh, but good eval), should have good LORs from peds, neuro, psych attendings, and my PI for my research project. Anyway, I really enjoyed my psych rotation and think it's my calling. Im in the process of setting up my 4th year and wanted some advice regarding what program I should set my sights on if im hellbent on staying in california and want the best education possible, and whether that seems like a reasonable goal given my situation. Basically, if you were me, how would you proceed? I realize there have been similar questions asked in previous threads, so basically I'm just hoping the generous contributors of SDN can throw me a couple more nuggets of sage wisdom. Thanks!

Apply everywhere you want to. If you get interviews it's because you're competitive. If you don't then you don't. Not much more complicated than that. From what you said it looks pretty solid to me. 244 is most certainly on the extremely high end for applying psych, if all we're talking about is board scores.

I don't know a lot about the Cali programs, as Im an East Coaster not looking to go to Cali, but I will share with you what I know/have heard. Based on your stats, you seem to be a strong applicant, however, as I'm sure you know Southern CA programs tend to have a competitiveness inflation. That being said, I'm sure you will come off as a desirable applicant and you should get a number of California interviews. As a DO, the only programs that are 'off limits' seem to be UCLA-NPI and UCSF, not to say this is a hard and fast rule, but to my knowledge neither has ever had a DO, and it might be hard to even get an interview at those places (my 260+ board scores did not get me a UCSF interview, although I lacked the research you have and have no ties to Cali). Dont fret though, as there are a number of SoCal programs that are DO friendly and offer good training (UCLA Harbor comes to mind, if you like the county population). There are also a number of less competitive programs that are also DO friendly, like Loma Linda and UCLA-SVF. My advice would be apply broadly, do a couple of try out rotations(Sub-Is) early during fourth year (I like the idea of one at a "stretch school" that you otherwise might not get an interview at, and one at a less competitive place that you would really be happy going). Apply to all of them, even UCLA-NPI if that's your dream school, it doesn't hurt to try. Bottom line is, if you want to end up in Cali, with your stats it likely won't be a problem. Although you probably could get into even higher quality programs if you were willing to leave California, but that's another conversation altogether.

Members don't see this ad :)
My advice would be apply broadly, do a couple of try out rotations(Sub-Is) early during fourth year (I like the idea of one at a "stretch school" that you otherwise might not get an interview at, and one at a less competitive place that you would really be happy going). Apply to all of them, even UCLA-NPI if that's your dream school, it doesn't hurt to try.
Good advice this.

I'm an allopath who interviewed at a lot of the California psych residencies and although I didn't see any osteopaths at UCSF or UCLA NPI (and don't believe either program traditionally accepts them), I know that DOs have gotten interviews there in the past, but the only ones I know of are the ones who did audition rotations there.

Osteopaths typically have a harder time of it getting California residencies because of the competitiveness inflation psychphan mentions and the fact that osteopaths aren't as big a part of the culture here as other parts of the country. Away rotations can sometimes be of limited utility, but if I were a DO hoping for a California allopathic slot, I'd strongly consider doing an away. With your numbers, assuming you're a hard worker and have good interpersonal skills, it might do wonders to kick in doors that might have remained closed otherwise.

Good luck with the whole process...

Agree with above posts. Will add that if you want to have any shot at UCLA-NPI, UCSF or UCSD then you should rotate there. You're CV looks amazing and you will do well! Apply broadly.

Hello all,

Forget CA, apply to MGH/Harvard, Columbia or Yale then come back to CA and own it, you'll be able to put that IvyiLeague education on your website and all the cash paying narcissists will love your exclusive Ivy-League pharmacotherapy/Orange County/ocean front practice. Or you could just settle for some UC instead. Harbor UCLA took 3 DOs in 2008 (2 from COMP). There is another there now doing C&A fellowship from c/o 2008.

You're doing better than most, shouldn't have any problems writing your own ticket.

Thanks for all of the replies. I appreciate all of the information. I will def do some away rotations early next year, and will probably do one at a "stretch school" and one at a more accessible place.

3 of the 4 recently matched interns at my program are DOs...there goes the neighborhood.