DO Letter of Recommendation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ehwic

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just a quick clarification, does all DO schools need a LOR from a DO physician or is it just some specific DO schools?

With regards to DO schools, Im confused as to how I should start looking for the right schools to apply to. I havent bought MSAR yet, but when I bought it last time, I dont remember them listing any DO school requirements.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm also interested in the answers to these questions. Thanks in advance. :)

nope not all require a letter of rec. from a DO for instance the LECOM campuses I believe do not require letter of recs from a D.O.

And as far as what DO schools to apply to, you could try the LizzyM Score on SDN it might be a good place to start...

Members don't see this ad :)
I am doing similar research on DO schools without DO letter. There are a good amount of schools that do not require DO letter. Check out AACOM website for the DO school information booklet in PDF form and they provide letter requirement information for each school. However I found that schools often require at least an MD letter and state they prefer a DO letter.

I am doing similar research on DO schools without DO letter. There are a good amount of schools that do not require DO letter. Check out AACOM website for the DO school information booklet in PDF form and they provide letter requirement information for each school. However I found that schools often require at least an MD letter and state they prefer a DO letter.
OK thats good to know. Im considering at the moment of receiving a LOR from an MD or DO. I think Im leaning more towards an MD as I will be applying to most MD schools.

OK thats good to know. Im considering at the moment of receiving a LOR from an MD or DO. I think Im leaning more towards an MD as I will be applying to most MD schools.
Why not get both? That's what I did and the DO letter definitely seemed to help my DO apps.

I got both sent to interfolio and looked at each school individually to decide which (or both) to send. Be prepared for a question about why you don't have a DO letter if you choose to not send one when applying to an osteopathic school. Often times it can be seen as not having enough experience with osteopathic medicine or using it as a fall back.

More on the fact that I wont be able to get to know another physician well enough to write a good LOR given my timeline.