DO/MD school list for 122 cars

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

moonpiemaker300

Reaction score
I'm usually on r/premed but someone advised me to come here in hopes of Goro responding with a school list 🙏

1. STATS:
cGPA: 3.76; AACOMAS sGPA: 3.8; AMCAS sGPA: 3.7
2. MCAT: 505 (125, 122, 130, 128)
3. Virginia resident
4. Central Asian; First gen
5. Large public state school
6. Clinical Experience (volunteer and non-volunteer)
  • 120 hours (still working)Free clinic volunteer (community health volunteer)
  • 10 hours (still working/just started) Free clinic volunteering (medical assistant)
  • 120 hours EMT
  • 250 hours as MA at peds clinic

7. Research
  • 120 hours electrophys. lab (no pubs, credit through school)
8. Shadowing
  • 20 hours shadowing MD neurologist;
  • 36 hours shadowing DO sports med;
  • 10 hours shadowing MD pediatrician
9. Non-clinical volunteering
  • 410 hours founded and lead Student Organization (won awards) - most volunteering done through this
    • [meetings, created mental health resource/relay for eating disorders, created program pushing for feminine hygiene products on campus, food assistance shelter, Donation Drive Set Ups/Packing for local shelters, created Mentorship program, partnership with separate local organization (help girls through mind, body, spirit- can't disclose more or else it's identifiable)]
      • *Organization: Won organization of the year 2x in a row; Won another award*
      • *Individual: Won leadership awards 2x in a row*
  • 80 hours volunteer Head Coach through same separate local organization
  • 40 hours volunteering with United 2 Heal
  • 150 hours COVID volunteering for supply drive
10. EC's
  • 860 hours: Teaching Assistant for Biochem, Orgo, Cell Bio
    • *Won teaching assistant of the year 2x*
  • 600 hours played club sport
  • 280 hours honor committee member
  • 640 graduate lab instructor (while doing current MPH)

11. Honors/awards
  • Deans list lmao idk if this is even worth putting
  • New Student Organization of the Year 2020-2021
  • Collaborative Spirit Award (Org) 2020-2021
  • Student Organization of the Year 2021-2022
  • Teaching Assistant of the Year 2020-2021
  • Teaching Assistant of the Year 2021-2022
  • Mentor of the Year 2020-2021
  • Junior Leadership Award 2020-2021
  • Senior Leadership Award 2021-2022
Currently: doing MPH
English not primary language

Looking to apply on east coast and mid-west :D

I just wanted to put down everything. I know again my stats aren't great. I appreciate all the help.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Please follow the template and include whether you had any shadowing:

An hour breakdown for all your activities and a bit more detail about some of them (like what was the context for being a mentor or coach) would help us create a more effective list.

Reactions: 1 user
Please follow the template and include whether you had any shadowing:

An hour breakdown for all your activities and a bit more detail about some of them (like what was the context for being a mentor or coach) would help us create a more effective list.
Thanks so much! Is the format better now lmao I feel awful for not having this done correctly before. Thanks again for the help :)

Members don't see this ad :)
It is ok, new users sometimes don’t see the sticky post that I had linked, especially if they go to the general Pre-med forums instead of WAMC. The information is very clear now.

For MD, you could perhaps try West Virginia and Belmont (when it opens). Your MCAT score will unfortunately hold you back and the VA state schools are competitive.

Your chances are best for DO. I suggest:

VCOM
PCOM
DMU
Marian
KCU
LECOM
KCOM (Kirksville)
ACOM
Campbell
WVSOM
WCU

Do you speak Spanish or come from any underrepresented background that could be a mission fit for some schools?

It is ok, new users sometimes don’t see the sticky post that I had linked, especially if they go to the general Pre-med forums instead of WAMC. The information is very clear now.

For MD, you could perhaps try West Virginia and Belmont (when it opens). Your MCAT score will unfortunately hold you back and the VA state schools are competitive.

Your chances are best for DO. I suggest:

VCOM
PCOM
DMU
Marian
KCU
LECOM
KCOM (Kirksville)
ACOM
Campbell
WVSOM
WCU
Thank you so much!
What about:
DMU-COM
AZCOM
KCOM (Joplin and Kansas City)
LMU-COM
MSU-COM
Rowan
NYIT - Arkansas
RVU-COM Colorado
Touro-NYC or Vegas
UNECOM
KCOM (Kentucky)?

I'm also going to be alumni from GWU (won't go into specifics). But how does GWU, Howard, and VCU look? Or even Wisconsin?

I'm willing to apply broadly for MD.

Thank you so much!
What about:
DMU-COM
AZCOM
KCOM (Joplin and Kansas City)
LMU-COM
MSU-COM
Rowan
NYIT - Arkansas
RVU-COM Colorado
Touro-NYC or Vegas
UNECOM
KCOM (Kentucky)?

I'm also going to be alumni from GWU (won't go into specifics). But how does GWU, Howard, and VCU look? Or even Wisconsin?

I'm willing to apply broadly for MD.
Howard is an HBCU. You could try George Washington, VCU, Loyola and Penn State. Wisconsin Madison expects high stat applicants for their OOS students and MCW still has a higher median MCAT by a decent margin from what I last recall.

I already listed DMU. Joplin and Kansas City refer to the different campuses for KCU. KCOM is AT Still Kirksville College, which I listed.

RVU is a for-profit school, I do not recommend it, nor do I recommend LMU. AZCOM, Touro NY, Rowan, and MSU all like higher MCAT scores (and Rowan and MSU are public state schools).

You can add KYCOM (Pike), Touro Nevada, and NYIT’s Arkansas campus if you want.

Howard is an HBCU. You could try George Washington, VCU, Loyola and Penn State. Wisconsin Madison expects high stat applicants for their OOS students and MCW still has a higher median MCAT by a decent margin from what I last recall.

I already listed DMU. Joplin and Kansas City refer to the different campuses for KCU. KCOM is AT Still Kirksville College, which I listed.

RVU is a for-profit school, I do not recommend it, nor do I recommend LMU. AZCOM, Touro NY, Rowan, and MSU all like higher MCAT scores (and Rowan and MSU are public state schools).

You can add KYCOM (Pike), Touro Nevada, and NYIT’s Arkansas campus if you want.
Gotcha. Just to inquire- was there also accreditation issues with William Carey, VCOM, and LMU?

Gotcha. Just to inquire- was there also accreditation issues with William Carey, VCOM, and LMU?
Yes, that is why I don’t recommend LMU and they also had an issue with firing a dean. So that is a problem even if they have improved the accreditation.

WCU has improved since their’s and the problem supposedly was due to not having enough in research. VCOM’s is supposedly due to the new campus in Monroe. The other branches (particularly the main one in VA) should be fine.

Yes, that is why I don’t recommend LMU and they also had an issue with firing a dean. So that is a problem even if they have improved the accreditation.

WCU has improved since their’s and the problem supposedly was due to not having enough in research. VCOM’s is supposedly due to the new campus in Monroe. The other branches (particularly the main one in VA) should be fine.
In terms of NOVA in Fl, what are your thoughts on that? I am planning to apply to a majority of DO so I'm trying to apply as broadly as possible.

In terms of NOVA in Fl, what are your thoughts on that? I am planning to apply to a majority of DO so I'm trying to apply as broadly as possible.
It has had a lot of complaints about administration, so I would not recommend it. The cost of attendance has also been reported to be very high (400k or more), likely due to the cost of living.

It appears Belmont is looking like they will accept apps for the 2024-2025 cycle instead based on the approval process.