Do med schools consider relationships during admissions?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

md-2020

The Immaculate Catch
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
My fiance is about to finish her PhD early (in 3 years), and is looking to apply to med schools next cycle. I'm currently applying, and our preference would be to go to the same school. Obviously I do have to get accepted first, but do you guys know if adcoms will give any leeway w/ family considerations for her next year? Are there any schools in particular (from my list, if possible) that are especially open to this?

Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
If you were applying the same cycle, Miami will consider the two applications together and give you a joint decision, so it's possible they may take it into consideration in your situation.

Reactions: 1 users
Correct me if I'm wrong. You're wondering whether or not adcoms will look upon her subsequent application (assuming your acceptance and matriculation) at the same school... more favorably? Am I right?

If so, I know of a couple (married) who basically did the same thing. She was accepted at a prestigious NYC med school, and the next year, he not only was offered an interview (at the same school, even though his stats were not up to par) but also offered interviews at nearby public state schools (despite not being a state-resident).

Side-note - he made note of her med school status and their preference to stay close to one another in any and all of the relevant secondary applications that asked for additional/extra information.

Members don't see this ad :)
Correct me if I'm wrong. You're wondering whether or not adcoms will look upon her subsequent application (assuming your acceptance and matriculation) at the same school... more favorably? Am I right?

If so, I know of a couple (married) who basically did the same thing. She was accepted at a prestigious NYC med school, and the next year, he not only was offered an interview (at the same school, even though his stats were not up to par) but also offered interviews at nearby public state schools (despite not being a state-resident).

Side-note - he made note of her med school status and their preference to stay close to one another in any and all of the relevant secondary applications that asked for additional/extra information.
That is in fact my question. Do you know if this distinction is only made for legally married couples, or is an engagement possible as well?
@Wolfpack2014 thanks for letting me know about Miami!

Edit: in terms of "stats being up to par" AFAIK her app will be something along the lines of 3.9/3.7/34

PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT:
Would any current Cornell or Mount Sinai students like to get married within the next month?

Reactions: 47 users
That is in fact my question. Do you know if this distinction is only made for legally married couples, or is an engagement possible as well?
@Wolfpack2014 thanks for letting me know about Miami!

Edit: in terms of "stats being up to par" AFAIK her app will be something along the lines of 3.9/3.7/34

I just texted the guy (just for you). He says a lot of schools didn't have those spaces allotted for additional/extra information in their secondaries. So he sent an "addendum" (not in realm of letter of interest) to the relevant schools, and all were very receptive.

As for the whole engaged or married thing, not a clue. But IMO, it really shouldn't matter - you both should be together! CONGRATS @md-2020!!

I just texted the guy (just for you). He says a lot of schools didn't have those spaces allotted for additional/extra information in their secondaries. So he sent an "addendum" (not in realm of letter of interest) to the relevant schools, and all were very receptive.

As for the whole engaged or married thing, not a clue. But IMO, it really shouldn't matter - you both should be together! CONGRATS @md-2020!!
Thanks for asking for me; your posts have been very helpful!

And thanks for the well wishes. Much appreciation!

Last edited:
And here I keep telling myself it's ridiculous to consider marriage at 21...you know what I decided it is, and you're just crazy

And here I keep telling myself it's ridiculous to consider marriage at 21...you know what I decided it is, and you're just crazy
Wow, **** you.

I would never ever have considered getting married at that age, but who the hell are you to tell them that.

Reactions: 5 users
Wow, **** you.

I would never ever have considered getting married at that age, but who the hell are you to tell them that.
Efle's a straight shooter, I get that, no hard feelings on my end.

But please let's keep this from turning into a "when should you start a family" debate.

Reactions: 3 users
Hmmm how about med school + PhD programs in the same school or area...probably not as likely

Wow, **** you.

lol, gotta love SDN's hypersensitive moral crusading

My gf of 5 years keeps bringing up engagement and it scares the **** out of me because I'm a 21 year old guy too, that's all

Funny this should come up; I was just thinking of posting something similiar. I'm about to be engaged and my girlfriend's matriculating Ohio State. Maybe I should've mentioned it in my app! :/

Members don't see this ad :)
I believe Michigan asks if you're applying as a couple. A strategic way to go about this would be to mainly apply to cities where there are a lot of medical schools, so even if you can't land the same one, you can still be close.

NYC: Sinai, NYU, Cornell, Columbia, Einstein, Downstate, Hofstra
Philly: Temple, Drexel, Jefferson, Penn
Chicago: NW, Chicago, Rush, RosalindF, Loyola, Illinois

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
I believe Michigan asks if you're applying as a couple. A strategic way to go about this would be to mainly apply to cities where there are a lot of medical schools, so even if you can land the same one, you can still be close.

Chicago: NW, Chicago, Rush, RosalindF, Loyola
Noted. Very rational!

I believe Michigan asks if you're applying as a couple. A strategic way to go about this would be to mainly apply to cities where there are a lot of medical schools, so even if you can land the same one, you can't still be close.

Chicago: NW, Chicago, Rush, RosalindF, Loyola
Plus the 6 schools in SoCal if you're from here or otherwise think you have a chance.

I was engaged at 22, married at 23. Our 6th anniversary is tomorrow. Both my brothers are single and are older than I was when I got married.

Life keeps moving, even though most of us are trying to hit pause. First in our friend group to get married. Many of our friends have children now (we are talking about 2-3 years from now potentially). Of everything I have done to this point in my life, by far the greatest decision of my life was act like a fool in front of her 11 years ago to try to get her attention. Sometimes you just get lucky. Might as well roll with it and count your blessings if it happens early.

ps. and don't blow tons of money on a wedding ;)

Reactions: 15 users
I was engaged at 22, married at 23. Our 6th anniversary is tomorrow. Both my brothers are single and are older than I was when I got married.

Life keeps moving, even though most of us are trying to hit pause. First in our friend group to get married. Many of our friends have children now (we are talking about 2-3 years from now potentially). Of everything I have done to this point in my life, by far the greatest decision of my life was act like a fool in front of her 11 years ago to try to get her attention. Sometimes you just get lucky. Might as well roll with it and count your blessings if it happens early.

ps. and don't blow tons of money on a wedding ;)
Duly noted :D

Honestly the biggest thing stopping me is the stuff I've seen on SDN about how med school and residency destroys relationships. I have no doubt I'd always want her around but I can't really know that she'd be with someone working 80+ hours a week. Seems too damn risky to tie the knot before getting at least partly through the gauntlet

My fiance is about to finish her PhD early (in 3 years), and is looking to apply to med schools next cycle. I'm currently applying, and our preference would be to go to the same school. Obviously I do have to get accepted first, but do you guys know if adcoms will give any leeway w/ family considerations for her next year? Are there any schools in particular (from my list, if possible) that are especially open to this?

Thanks in advance!
so all the SDNer's are invited to the wedding right?

so all the SDNer's are invited to the wedding right?
Considering some of the things I've seen posted on here over the years,

absolutely not. :D

Efle's a straight shooter, I get that, no hard feelings on my end.

But please let's keep this from turning into a "when should you start a family" debate.

NOT turning this into a debate is a lot to ask of SDN.

Reactions: 3 users
Seems like every one of efle's posts stir up controversy one way or another lol.

My gf of 5 years keeps bringing up engagement and it scares the **** out of me because I'm a 21 year old guy too, that's all

Compared to everyone here, I feel so immature. The girl I'm seeing wants me to commit to a relationship, and it scares the **** out of me. And I'm also in my early 20s.

Duly noted :D

No no no no no! Your wedding is going to be the greatest day of your life! I'm also totally not saying this in the hope that you'll invite me so that I can gorge myself on mountains of free food.

By far the greatest decision of my life was act like a fool in front of her 11 years ago to try to get her attention.

Oh man. That brought up painful memories of high school when I repeatedly tried that and failed miserably haha.

Last edited:
Oh man. That brought up painful memories of high school when I repeatedly tried that and failed miserably haha.

Better to try and fail, than to not try at all. I'm on the other end. At least you gave yourself a shot! I respect that.

If you were applying the same cycle, Miami will consider the two applications together and give you a joint decision, so it's possible they may take it into consideration in your situation.

Do you or anyone else on here know what kind of consideration Miami gives the linked applicants? My significant other and I are currently waiting to hear from them

General advice given her stats Id say target NYC because within an hour of the city there are a TON of schools (Einstein, Mt. Sinai, NYU, Cornell, Columbia, Hofstra, NYMC, & Quinnipiac just to name a few private ones)

Do you or anyone else on here know what kind of consideration Miami gives the linked applicants? My significant other and I are currently waiting to hear from them

General advice given her stats Id say target NYC because within an hour of the city there are a TON of schools (Einstein, Mt. Sinai, NYU, Cornell, Columbia, Hofstra, NYMC, & Quinnipiac just to name a few private ones)
Pretty sure all the program does is lump you together as a both-or-neither decision, so hopefully you're either both acceptance quality to begin with or one if you is an absolutely must-have candidate !

Of everything I have done to this point in my life, by far the greatest decision of my life was act like a fool in front of her 11 years ago to try to get her attention. Sometimes you just get lucky.

It'd seem these two posts are opposites, but I'm oddly (and consistently :cryi:) stuck in the intermediate. Basically, I act like a fool in front of women... and they remember me in a comedic way... but even then I'm permanently single. Sigh...

Lol_forever_alone.jpg

Honestly the biggest thing stopping me is the stuff I've seen on SDN about how med school and residency destroys relationships.

Is that really true though? Long-distance relationships are sadly doomed to fail in many circumstances, but long-term relationships (even without engagement/marriage) can resist the hardships of medical school and residency. Of course, the medical students who do date tend to get married just before residency starts, given what I've seen here.

I mean its not like I'd expect most relationships to fail from the stresses of Med school and beyond, but a good significant number probably do so its quite the gamble to make permanent arrangements on the way on

One other thing to consider is for you to take a fifth year during Med school (i.e. extra research etc) so that you can apply to residency as a linked application. As for the application cycle, sounds like a good plan to go for a major area. I would add Chicago to the areas already listed.
Best of luck though! Congratulations on finding someone you are potentially willing to spend the rest of your life with :D

One other thing to consider is for you to take a fifth year during Med school (i.e. extra research etc) so that you can apply to residency as a linked application. As for the application cycle, sounds like a good plan to go for a major area. I would add Chicago to the areas already listed.
Best of luck though! Congratulations on finding someone you are potentially willing to spend the rest of your life with :D
I'm interested/most likely going to go 5 years to do an MBA during med school. :) The big cities w/ multiple med schools are definitely our top considerations.

Thanks everyone for the well wishes!!

Last edited:
Quick Wedding in Vegas, Quick Divorce in Reno, definitely a full service state. Especially if you count the Chicken Ranch

Hey now, don't sell my hometown short. We do divorces too!

On topic, however, my wife and I are going on five years now and have a second kiddo on the way. I actually think we may see more of each other when med school hopefully starts. :p

Damn, is she like 3 years older than you then? How'd you nab a chick as a kid who was younger than everyone else in college?

Damn, is she like 3 years older than you then? How'd you nab a chick as a kid who was younger than everyone else in college?
She's actually only a year older than me; she finished undergrad @ 20 and is now a couple years into her PhD (<--much smarter than I'll ever be :D).

we met before college.

What made you guys want to graduate in 3 years? Cost? If I could I'd probably keep this lifestyle going for another decade!

What made you guys want to graduate in 3 years? Cost? If I could I'd probably keep this lifestyle going for another decade!
A variety of things, really.
For me, cost was definitely a consideration, but probably not the primary one. While I liked the lifestyle and atmosphere of college, I knew what I wanted to do (get an MPH, apply to med school) so sticking around in undergrad with no real classes seemed a tad redundant. There was also an issue of independence on my part, as my parents (both subspecialized surgeons so no Fin Aid at all) were footing the bill; I couldn't justify using their money on degrees that were already completed. My 1 year MPH ended costing even more than staying in undergrad would have, though :D. From a personal perspective I also wasn't very happy after suffering an off-field injury that prevented me from playing sports that I was recruited for, so a change of scenery was somewhat in order.
For my fiance, at the time medicine wasn't in the picture and her doctorate was the final goal. When she got into her top choice program, it was simply too appealing to pass up, similar to if one of us got into HMS. I also think she was never really challenged academically (unlike me), and classes became repetitive. Especially after she went Greek (I never saw the appeal, our system was nowhere near what you get at state flagships) and got tasked with tutoring many of her barely-passing sisters.

It boils down to each person's individual situation, but I think we're both happy with how things turned out.

Your best bet is probably to choose a school with a high med school density (i.e., NYC).

Your best bet is probably to choose a school with a high med school density (i.e., NYC).
Depends on the competitiveness of her app, 1 shot at a midlevel school probably better odds than 5 shot at 5 top schools for many applicants

I'm jelly, would love to be in a relationship. Good luck, man!

If they did consider it, it would not help you

My friends and I made a pack. It's career oriented and it's call, No F**Kboys 2K15!

But it gets lonely....
Right, because if you didn't have the pact, you'd be swimming in panties? rofl
Also: note the spelling error