Do med schools contact your work/activity references?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CavsFan2016

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
For my research experience in the work/activities section of my primary application, I listed my research advisor's email and phone number. However, I didn't obtain a letter of recommendation from her because her letter of reference would have included "both the good and bad" in her words - should I be worried that schools are contacting her and she will share this same opinion with adcomms even though I don't have a LOR from her?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

Not an ADCOM, but I don't think they have the time or the resources to be calling all the references listed on you rapplication when they barely have the time to go through all the applications since there are a several medical schools that get over 10,000 applications per year.
But I've heard of a few instances where students had their acceptances rescinded for lying BLATANTLY on their applications, but then again, this is AFTER they got accepted.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
For my research experience in the work/activities section of my primary application, I listed my research advisor's email and phone number. However, I didn't obtain a letter of recommendation from her because her letter of reference would have included "both the good and bad" in her words - should I be worried that schools are contacting her and she will share this same opinion with adcomms even though I don't have a LOR from her?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
5000 apps
x 20 activites
100000 phone calls
What do you think?

Members don't see this ad :)
The chances of this happening are approaching zero. It's mainly used as a deterrent. If you lie about something / put a false contact, you'll probably get away with it, but the risk if you're caught falsifying your application is enormous enough that most people will (hopefully also for other reasons) not lie. If they do call at all (they won't), it would likely be to verify the activity, not get an appraisal of your contributions or skills.

Reactions: 1 user
ADCOM: Hello? Yes, is it true that this guy is a Cav's fan?
Research Adviser: What? Just a few months ago I saw him with a Golden State jersey saying that Curry was the real MVP.
ADCOM: What a bandwagoner. We don't need sell-out physicians like that here
Research Advisor: Ikr

Reactions: 23 users
If a school or AAMC decided to call, it would just be to ask if you really did research there for the length of time you said. It would not be for any kind of evaluation.

Reactions: 1 users