Do med schools round GPA off to 2 sig figures or 3?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

DenTony11235

I have a 3.55 cGPA and 3.37 sGPA. MSAR gives 2 dig figures, so according to them, my GPAs are 3.6 and 3.4, which doesn't sound as bad if you ask me. Do med schools do a round-off similarly?

It's important for me to know since if I don't get any II's by December, one of my options is to stack up 3-4 science classes to boost my GPa. If GPAs are rounded off to 2 significant figures, then Those 4 classes would make absolutely no difference in my GPa.

MCAT is 37 and ECs are being worked on regardless, so I'm most worried about my GPa for a reapplication cycle.

Posted using SDN Mobile

Members don't see this ad.

The AMCAS primary reports GPA to 3 sig figs. I've heard of some post-bacc programs going as far as 4 sig figs. But 2? I don't think so!

Reactions: 1 users
The AMCAS primary reports GPA to 3 sig figs. I've heard of some post-bacc programs going as far as 4 sig figs. But 2? I don't think so!

Well the AMCAS GPa I've seen, but I know that many schools truly prefer students with higher GPAs, even to those with shaky beginnings then extremely strong upwards trends, because it improves their stats making them appear more desirable.

MSAR is where most students get their ideas about particular med schools, and it uses 2 significant figures. So I'm wondering if adcoms take that into consideration and at least consider the rounded-off GPAs to 2 significant figures.

Posted using SDN Mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
MSAR is where most students get their ideas about particular med schools, and it uses 2 significant figures. So I'm wondering if adcoms take that into consideration and at least consider the rounded-off GPAs to 2 significant figures.
I'm looking at the MSAR right now. My version (which is the most recent) gives 3 sig figs for gpa. For example, median GPA 3.83, etc etc. The MCAT is only reported to 2 sig figs, although some school websites will give you a more specific breakdown (i.e. 90th percentile 38.3).

Without actually sitting on an admissions committee, I cannot give a definite answer. But I am pretty sure that, when it comes to actually comparing your GPA, they'll look at the 3.55, not 3.6.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-10-22 at 11.39.04 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-10-22 at 11.39.04 AM.png
    54 KB · Views: 252
Reactions: 1 user
I see every number from AACOMAS as three significant figures. Your numbers are fine; quit fussing. You may not get into Harvard or Stanford, but there are plenty of schools you're competitive for.

I have a 3.55 cGPA and 3.37 sGPA. MSAR gives 2 dig figures, so according to them, my GPAs are 3.6 and 3.4, which doesn't sound as bad if you ask me. Do med schools do a round-off similarly?

It's important for me to know since if I don't get any II's by December, one of my options is to stack up 3-4 science classes to boost my GPa. If GPAs are rounded off to 2 significant figures, then Those 4 classes would make absolutely no difference in my GPa.

MCAT is 37 and ECs are being worked on regardless, so I'm most worried about my GPa for a reapplication cycle.

Posted using SDN Mobile

Reactions: 2 users
I see every number from AACOMAS as three significant figures. Your numbers are fine; quit fussing. You may not get into Harvard or Stanford, but there are plenty of schools you're competitive for.

This comment made me all warm and fuzzy inside. Thank you.

Posted using SDN Mobile

Reactions: 1 users
Well the AMCAS GPa I've seen, but I know that many schools truly prefer students with higher GPAs, even to those with shaky beginnings then extremely strong upwards trends, because it improves their stats making them appear more desirable.

Posted using SDN Mobile

While I understand that it's hard to grasp the minutia of medical school applications, believe me when I say that most medical schools aren't paying attention to that third digit. Yes, we see it, but don't you think admissions committees have better things to do than worry about a 0.02 difference in GPA?

While I understand that it's hard to grasp the minutia of medical school applications, believe me when I say that most medical schools aren't paying attention to that third digit. Yes, we see it, but don't you think admissions committees have better things to do than worry about a 0.02 difference in GPA?

Well, that third digit can potentially improve or diminish a GPa by .09, then consider that there's an sGPA, cGPA, and BCPgpa, that's a potential difference of up to .27. I absolutely agree that I'm probably over analyzing, especially since my third significant figures don't improve my GPAs by that amount, but the point still stands. We fight for the slightest improvement in our GPAs.

Posted using SDN Mobile

Well, that third digit can potentially improve or diminish a GPa by .09, then consider that there's an sGPA, cGPA, and BCPgpa, that's a potential difference of up to .27. I absolutely agree that I'm probably over analyzing, especially since my third significant figures don't improve my GPAs by that amount, but the point still stands. We fight for the slightest improvement in our GPAs.

Posted using SDN Mobile

As someone deeply involved in this process, I'm asking you to use common sense. There truly is little reason for any admissions committee to look meaningfully at that third digit.

As someone deeply involved in this process, I'm asking you to use common sense. There truly is little reason for any admissions committee to look meaningfully at that third digit.

Alright. I'll take your word for it.

Posted using SDN Mobile

To piggy-back on this, do they truncate or round up?
For example, would a 3.926 be 3.93 or 3.92?

doesn't matter. not like we can control it to that degree.

nobody got rejected for truncating a 3.926 to a 3.92 instead of rounding up to a 3.93

To piggy-back on this, do they truncate or round up?
For example, would a 3.926 be 3.93 or 3.92?
They round up or down to 2 decimal places using the rules of rounding; they don't truncate.

Backups? I don't need backups. I'm going to Harvard.

Reactions: 1 user